Running and licking

jaspurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m worried about my year old cat. He is a rescue and I’ve had him since he was six weeks old. His name is Pepper.
For the past few days he has been acting strangely .........actually...... this has been going off and on for a long time. He will take off at a run and stop abruptly and lick his flank (either side) or the base of his tail furiously then take off again. He won’t let me pick him up and is usually a very loving cat. Finally he will settle down. When he is settled or sleeping he shivers or vibrates and snores. He seems to have normal bowel movements but I noticed today that he was more settled after he went. My other cat Jaspur is an intervention cat and he is five now and loves Pepper but he has stomach and inbred issues so I have him on a sensitive stomach diet (which Pepper has been on as well) I have changed their diet lately also to a larger pellet because Jaspur has gone off his sensitive diet and was losing weight so I am giving them a diet for older cats as he prefers the larger pellet. Pepper has a big appetite and will eat Jaspurs food if I let himI’m wondering what to do. I have a vet appt for two weeks from now. Does anyone have any suggestions. I love this cat and would hate to loose him.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The running then licking then running again sounds like normal cat crazies to me. Sometimes when they stop you will see the cat turn their heads as well, like they are listening to something, and then they are off. But a vet check is always a good idea if you believe their may be some health issue going on.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two things came to mind as soon as I read this. One is that pain, gas or tummy issues could make him jumpy. If they only get dry food you could try adding wet food or making sure they get enough fluids. Some special diet foods may help one kitty but not be needed for another. Your vet can best advise in nutrition.
The other thing is that Pepper is itching. I have often seen that same reaction in a couple of my kitties. A single flea can drive my Kodiak crazy. She bites at her rump and runs like something is after her. She is sensitive to the bites and gets a sort of allergic reaction. It can be hard to spot fleas but try checking. Combing the kitty over a white towel could help you spot the flea or the flea poop.

HollyWillow VT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our little one does this (sorta...she doesn't seem to have sleeping vibrations or snores), and it does seem like dietary changes (made for other reasons) helped a bit. A bit. I also make sure when I brush her I pay extra attention to her hindquarters so that she can get some scratchies.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry I am just now responding - somehow I missed it earlier. What you have described sounds like it could be food allergy related (licking, biting, snoring - the vibrations and shivering could be related to the snoring). So, if you hadn't said it has been going off and on for a long time, I would have suggested that it was the recent food change - which could also affect his bowel movements. Have you checked his stool to see if it is of normal consistency?
Does he only have the issues with sleeping after one his run-around/lick/bite incidents, or all the time? If they are not coincident to one another, he may have more than one issue going on. The things could possibly be environmental allergies, or even stress related.

Also, is there anything different going on each time he has these incidents - like a visitor to your house (stress), recent vacuuming (dust allergy), washing of his bedding or other items he uses (detergent allergy), etc? I would chart each incident, and then think back to what was happening shortly beforehand, just to see if you can make a connection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaspurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I might have a solution. I was thinkI gotta this morning about essential oils. I have osteoarthritis as well as fibromyalgia. He has been my constant companion since I got him. I’ve discovered that peppermint oil relieves pain and I apply it when I have pain or cramping. The other night when he had that episode I had used a fair amount of it. I checked out essential oils on line with harm to cats and they strongly advise to keep them away from it. He had all the symptoms of being poisoned. I feel terrible. I’ve washed and cleaned everything that he may have come into contact with Including me. so I will see what happens and keep posted his progress. My other cat is not particularly friendly so I don’t touch him that often And he seems ok.
my other dilemma is what I’ll use for pain now. Thank you for your kind advice. I have a vet appointment in a few weeks so I’ll get him checked again there.
164742A6-587C-4E20-9561-4F8D2B3049BC.jpeg

jaspurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You've stopped the use of the oils with him now? And, is he any better? I hope so!
You've stopped the use of the oils with him now? And, is he any better? I hope so!
Yes ...I washed everything that might have peppermint oil .....sheets, surfaces and me.
Last night he was loving and affectionate with no unusual signs..I could pick him up and pat his face the way he likes....... back to his old self. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

jaspurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi....Pepper‘s doing great. He’s back to his normal ‘in your face” kitten. Actually I’ve noticed a change in Jaspur as well. He has a lot more energy and is playing with Pepper more. I didn’t think it would affect him because he doesn’t like to be picked up very much. It’s harder for me now because I rely on peppermint oil for pain. It alleviates leg and muscle cramps in minutes.

Attachments

jaspurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes he seems to be better but a very active cat otherwise. I have stopped the essential oil thing but am suffering myself because I can no longer use them. Peppermint oil is a plus for my fibromaylgia issues.
Thanks for your helpful input

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I missed this thread when it was first posted - but also just wanted to say that everything you described in your first post sounds normal to me, especially for a kitten. The running after invisible things, twitching, and licking is often what's described as 'cat zoomies.' Kittens get them a lot, but sometimes older cats get them too, especially if they are active. Also, twitching while sleeping is also really normal when cats are in deep sleep. Snoring can also be normal.