Ruby – 3,830 days was not enough

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last night, with my heart breaking, and tears streaming down my face, I said good bye to my darling girl, and let her cross over the rainbow bridge.

It was almost 10 1/2 years ago, or 3,830 days to be exact, that I had adopted a beautiful orange female cat, who I named Ruby. Her history was mostly unknown, other than she’d been brought to the shelter a month earlier by someone who’d rescued her from kids kicking her. She had 2 broken upper canine teeth, a wobbly eye and needed to be spayed. Her prior owners clearly didn’t take care of her, and I determined I would make the rest of her life the best it possibly could be. Her age at that time was estimated to be 2 or 3.

1715377279548.png

Ruby wasn’t the healthiest cat, even from the beginning, with digestive issues that may have been IBD, and occasionally involved vet visits when she had flare ups. But I still believed she could live a long life, and was saddened when she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in December, and then recently progressive kidney disease. I had hoped both could be controlled for a while, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Despite her mistreatment while a stray, Ruby was a loving, curious cat, who would make friends with every human who entered our home, whether friends of mine, or a stranger who came to fix a plumbing problem or clean the furnace. She’d purr up a storm, and give head bumps, and sometimes offer her assistance with the repair.

She did despise being held or restrained in any way, but was a super snuggler and a lovable lap cat.

Because of her tummy issues, and the fact that I am vegetarian, Ruby didn’t very often get to sample people food. But there were 2 foods I would always have to share with her – French Fries and Kraft Dinner.

1715377368168.png

She was never really a cat to participate in play time, but not for want of toys.

1715377393293.png

Though she was the only cat of the house, and I’m not sure if she would have accepted a feline friend, she did have an interest in other cats. If she spotted one outside, she'd run from window to window watching it. She’d also come running to a room and jump up in the window when I called, “Ruby, I see a cat”.

1715377471924.png

She never showed interest in going outside, other than once or twice stepping out onto the front step, when I would gently turn her back inside. I think she remembered from her days as a stray that outdoors was a dangerous place, and inside was better, where she could spend hours in her condo in the window, enjoying the warmth of the sun.

1715377426046.png

She was a very vocal cat, and we’d often have long conversations, with her usually having the final word.

I could go on and on about my precious girl, but I think I’ve covered the key points I’ll always remember about her.

Having her in my life was the best I ever could have asked for. I only wish we could have had more time.

1715378436434.png

Last night after I came back to my empty house, I eventually went to bed hoping to sleep.
Once I closed my eyes, the following words from the Justin Bieber song “Ghost” kept repeating in my head.

“if I can't be close to you
I'll settle for the ghost of you
I miss you more than life
And if you can't be next to me
Your memory is ecstasy
I miss you more than life”

So I sat up, grabbed my tablet and listened to the song over and over till I finally felt I could get to sleep.

I miss you so much, Ruby baby. I’ll love you forever. :hearthrob:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh rubysmama rubysmama you've written a beautiful tribute for a truly beautiful girl. I wish there was something I could do to help ease the pain of her loss.
Ruby was one of 'our' cats.. we all knew and absolutely loved her, and we know how much she was a part of your life.
Thinking of you (((((hugs))))).

:rbheart: RIP gorgeous Ruby.:rbheart:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my! With tear-filled eyes, I can barely see to type this - 'you done Ruby proud' with your wonderful, loving tribute to her, just as you did in all the days you took care of her. I can just envision in my head that she is telling you 'Mama you may not be able to see or touch me now, but every day I will see you and touch your heart for all your days on earth - until we can be together again."

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night, with my heart breaking, and tears streaming down my face, I said good bye to my darling girl, and let her cross over the rainbow bridge.

It was almost 10 1/2 years ago, or 3,830 days to be exact, that I had adopted a beautiful orange female cat, who I named Ruby. Her history was mostly unknown, other than she’d been brought to the shelter a month earlier by someone who’d rescued her from kids kicking her. She had 2 broken upper canine teeth, a wobbly eye and needed to be spayed. Her prior owners clearly didn’t take care of her, and I determined I would make the rest of her life the best it possibly could be. Her age at that time was estimated to be 2 or 3.

View attachment 476015

Ruby wasn’t the healthiest cat, even from the beginning, with digestive issues that may have been IBD, and occasionally involved vet visits when she had flare ups. But I still believed she could live a long life, and was saddened when she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in December, and then recently progressive kidney disease. I had hoped both could be controlled for a while, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Despite her mistreatment while a stray, Ruby was a loving, curious cat, who would make friends with every human who entered our home, whether friends of mine, or a stranger who came to fix a plumbing problem or clean the furnace. She’d purr up a storm, and give head bumps, and sometimes offer her assistance with the repair.

She did despise being held or restrained in any way, but was a super snuggler and a lovable lap cat.

Because of her tummy issues, and the fact that I am vegetarian, Ruby didn’t very often get to sample people food. But there were 2 foods I would always have to share with her – French Fries and Kraft Dinner.

View attachment 476016

She was never really a cat to participate in play time, but not for want of toys.

View attachment 476017

Though she was the only cat of the house, and I’m not sure if she would have accepted a feline friend, she did have an interest in other cats. If she spotted one outside, she'd run from window to window watching it. She’d also come running to a room and jump up in the window when I called, “Ruby, I see a cat”.

View attachment 476019

She never showed interest in going outside, other than once or twice stepping out onto the front step, when I would gently turn her back inside. I think she remembered from her days as a stray that outdoors was a dangerous place, and inside was better, where she could spend hours in her condo in the window, enjoying the warmth of the sun.

View attachment 476018

She was a very vocal cat, and we’d often have long conversations, with her usually having the final word.

I could go on and on about my precious girl, but I think I’ve covered the key points I’ll always remember about her.

Having her in my life was the best I ever could have asked for. I only wish we could have had more time.

View attachment 476020

Last night after I came back to my empty house, I eventually went to bed hoping to sleep.
Once I closed my eyes, the following words from the Justin Bieber song “Ghost” kept repeating in my head.

“if I can't be close to you
I'll settle for the ghost of you
I miss you more than life
And if you can't be next to me
Your memory is ecstasy
I miss you more than life”

So I sat up, grabbed my tablet and listened to the song over and over till I finally felt I could get to sleep.

I miss you so much, Ruby baby. I’ll love you forever. :hearthrob:

Rubysmama I am so sorry for your loss of beautiful Ruby. Thank you for writing and sharing some of her story. I hope these memories you hold close will help you during this time.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t see either. Ruby was such a thread woven into this website. Thank you for sharing her lovely back story: feel free to tell us more. I was always so entranced by her eyes. Grieve all you want here. We are grieving too.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had no idea Ruby was so badly treated before she hit the jackpot, living with you. What a beautiful, sweet, and special girl. Her forgiving nature is pretty astounding and I'm sure part of that was due to the unconditional and constant love she received from you.
I am so, so very sorry for your loss.
I have many cat friends waiting, and they will keep her company...until it's time that we ALL meet again, and when that happens, it's forever. And what a wonderful day that will be!! :hugs:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She was such a lucky girl to end up being adopted by you. She had the kind of home every cat deserves, but many can only dream of. It's obvious that you adored her and that she was given all the love she needed.

I've always has a soft spot for ginger cats. I loved seeing all your photos of Ruby. Isn't it funny how they send us a song to comfort us when they're gone? I've had songs suddenly pop into my head after losing cats too.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

:hugs:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She was such a lucky girl to end up being adopted by you. She had the kind of home every cat deserves, but many can only dream of. It's obvious that you adored her and that she was given all the love she needed.

I've always has a soft spot for ginger cats. I loved seeing all your photos of Ruby. Isn't it funny how they send us a song to comfort us when they're gone? I've had songs suddenly pop into my head after losing cats too.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

:hugs:
It's funny, because I had so many songs from years past pop into my head after I lost 4 of my pets in a few years time. So many that I have a list going, and I made a playlist so I can listen to them anytime I wish. It's very comforting.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Ruby, dream you deep. Your purrs echo in someone's heart forever.

Oh, Sweetie, I AM SO SORRY! I know how hard you fought for Ruby, and how hard she fought to stay with you. You gave her a life beyond her wildest dreams, and I am sure that she returned that favor. We rescue them, then they rescue us. What a lovely long time you had with her, but where there is love, an eternity is not long enough. I know you have read these words from me before, but they are, indeed, the Deepest Truth that I know. You walked with Ruby to the Gate between this adventure and her next great adventure and sent her on her way with your love beside her to comfort and guied her. Now, from her home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, she send her love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

Hugging you in my heart.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't add anything that people haven't already said. She was a special cat, who all of us got to know in some way via the forum. I never knew the poor baby had had such a rough start, and it makes the trust and personality she showed so very touching. You are a truly wonderful person for taking her in and giving her the best life she could possibly have had. I know you must feel utterly, utterly lost without her. Sending hugs your way. :hugs:
:angelcat:RIP sweet Ruby. You touched so many lives, helped so many cats, and your person will love you forever.:angelcat:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You saved her, and she, in return, gave your life so much........God has always said we will be happy in heaven, and complete, so if your loved ones make you happy you will be with them again. Every living creature that draws a breathe has a soul, "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father's care." How much more valuable your little Ruby is.......
She is filled with your love, she carries it in her soul. She is at peace. The bond between you both is spiritual, so eternal. Nothing can ever break it or take it from you. Call on it for comfort and she will answer. Whatever new path she now follows will forever parallel your own. Any new loves you gather will reside next to hers and make hers even stronger. Bless you for giving her what she wanted most in life, a home, care, and someone to love and protect her.....
RIP beautiful Ruby. You will always be cherished and remembered, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
What an amazing tribute to your beautiful girl. :redheartpump: You gave her a wonderful life and you both were so lucky to have each other. I can't add much to the beautiful things every has said but I am so incredibly sorry. :hugs:

Rest in peace, sweetheart. :rbheart: