Rubber band stuck around it's paw.. please help

Ramkumar M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey.....my cat has rubber band stuck around it's paw...as you can see, it's around the middle two fingers....I'm sure it's the neighbour kid who did this....it doesn't like being touched on it's paws...so I'm kind of in a bad situation here...can anyone please tell me how to remove it in a sneaky manner...thanks

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS!
I would try the "snip while sleeping" trick but if that doesn't work, it may be necessary to "towel" him - it's better with 2 people on hand, especially with an experienced cat handler (someone proficient with horses would be good, too, since those people are used to reading body language & horses/cats are exceptionally in tuned to each other's nonverbal communication). If you don't have any cat handlers, most TNR advocates/cat colony managers are willing to help although will probably advise you to keep your cat indoors or contained since they routinely see the downsides of cats being outdoors.
Please keep us updated on how things are going!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ramkumar M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE : I have successfully removed the rubber band with a nail cutter(I think Its the most efficient and effective tool for this situation)....and without hurting the cat... Thanks everyone for your kindest advices...:petcat:Because when I looked in the internet, many cat pros said like this situation is not as simple as it looks and the more I leave it as it is, the more it will be dangerous....thats why I was so sad and anxious since then....Now I can sleep in peace:lol2: I'll make sure to eliminate that kid once I see him again lol....Again thanks everyone......sorry for my bad english hehe...

And another thing.....As my problem is solved now, do I need to delete this thread or something? or leave it as it is? As you can see I just joined today while looking for answers in google...and I must say, this site is awesome...People like you guys replied quicker than I expected...Thanks y'all..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ramkumar M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS!
I would try the "snip while sleeping" trick but if that doesn't work, it may be necessary to "towel" him - it's better with 2 people on hand, especially with an experienced cat handler (someone proficient with horses would be good, too, since those people are used to reading body language & horses/cats are exceptionally in tuned to each other's nonverbal communication). If you don't have any cat handlers, most TNR advocates/cat colony managers are willing to help although will probably advise you to keep your cat indoors or contained since they routinely see the downsides of cats being outdoors.
Please keep us updated on how things are going!
Can you snip the rubber band with a small scissors? Be sure to shield your and your cat's eyes. I'm just guessing, I've never had to do this.
You can kind of sneak up when the cat is sleeping. I had to do that to clip one of my cat's claws.
i would use a butter knife to try and pull it off or a capped ball point pen ,blunt scissors but really if your sure that nieghbor kid did this you need to keep your cat away from that kid or eliminate that kid cause that rubber band could easily have been around its neck
UPDATE : I have successfully removed the rubber band with a nail cutter(I think Its the most efficient and effective tool for this situation)....and without hurting the cat... Thanks everyone for your kindest advices...:petcat:Because when I looked in the internet, many cat pros said like this situation is not as simple as it looks and the more I leave it as it is, the more it will be dangerous....thats why I was so sad and anxious since then....Now I can sleep in peace:lol2: I'll make sure to eliminate that kid once I see him again lol....Again thanks everyone......sorry for my bad english hehe...

And another thing.....As my problem is solved now, do I need to delete this thread or something? or leave it as it is? As you can see I just joined today while looking for answers in google...and I must say, this site is awesome...People like you guys replied quicker than I expected...Thanks y'all..

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I'm so glad it turned out okay!! And using a nail cutter was so smart.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I am so glad that you were able to remove the rubber band and I agree that the kid needs to be monitored. It does concern me that given your cat does not like to have his paws handled that this kid was somehow able to do this to him. You might only be seeing the tip of the iceberg.

You do not have to delete anything. Your post may serve to help someone else someday.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:. Please don't remove this thread - I am confident that it is helpful now and in the future! Using nail clippers was a brilliant idea - I will remember that one. I hope that you will visit this site often - your insight could help save lives (kitties ! and maybe bratty kids :seesaw:heehee 😝)

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Be vigalant as a child i had a semi feral cat i adored at my grandparents where i lived half the time (only child of a single mom) her name was Midnight she had longish black fur and a beautiful fluffy tail i enjoyed stroking(I think Mignon might be a decendant lol) , well i went to summer camp for a week when i got home i was stroking Midnight's tail when i noticed what felt like a rubber band and by the time i got my uncle to look at it she had gone off as was common for her two days later she was back ad it was an OMG moment as the majority of hr tail came off in my hand after that the nebighors claimed she was their cat Misty who had been bob tailed and had run off several weeks prior, i believe it was they who had wrapped the rubber band around her tail my uncle said thats what caused the tail to come off in my hand the rubber band had cut off the circulation effectively amputateing the tail. so watch out and if your friendly enough have a word or two with the kids parents as this is rather disturbing.