Royal Canin

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I recently switched to Royal Canin (sensitive skin or something like that). My cat this time of year usually has allergy issues but since I started feeding her this about a month ago she hasn't really lost any hair or acted itchy like she did last summer. The problem though is that I think she's been gaining weight since eating it. She was 8.5 pounds before and now she feels like she's 10 pounds. My boyfriend even noticed that she looks a little chunkier. I was feeding her nutro before and I guess it didn't taste as good. I don't think I'm feeding her more than I normally do so I don't understand the weight gain unless it was just a coincidence that she's 3.5 years old now and her metabolism is slowing down. Do cat's metabolisms slow down at this age? or do I need to give her less food? I'd say she probably gets half a cup a day so maybe I need to lower it or stop letting her free feeding. Any suggestions would be helpful
. I just know my vet said 8.5 is a really good weight for her and to keep doing whatever it was I was doing to keep her there.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First question - have you weighed her on your own scale (hold her and then subtract the numbers from yourself alone to the one with you holding her).

RC is good food, so you don't need to feed as much. If you are leaving food out all the time, try spliting up a set amount of food in 2-3 meals and slowly cut back. IMO 8-10 lbs is a good weight average, so she should be fine.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fuzzles

I don't think I'm feeding her more than I normally do so I don't understand the weight gain unless it was just a coincidence that she's 3.5 years old now and her metabolism is slowing down. Do cat's metabolisms slow down at this age?
It's not so much that a cats metabolism slows down with age, but that many pet cats slow down with age. Some are just more happy spending their time napping or calmly looking out a window than racing around the house.
If you can encourage her in more play sessions to make sure she's burning some of those calories off, it will help - and be good for her all around health.