Royal Canin Gastrointestinal

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, I just received my order for Royal Canin Gastrointestinal High Energy food for Oliver...

Feline Gastrointestinal High Energy™ Dry Cat Food - Royal Canin

I got this food because he has hard stools and sometimes constipation, he can scarf and barf and hes had urine problems in the past..From what I hear this food solves all those problems, and since I can only feed him small portions at a time the high energy formula fills in those calories he loses out on...

Im excited to try this and both my cats want it. Allie still gets wet stools but im going to hold out on giving her this since I recently put her on cheap friskies. I will give the friskies more time...

Anyone have experience with this food? Im wondering if I can give him Iams which is what he eats in between or even mix it?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This stuff is packed to the brim with stuff I can’t imagine helping a cats stomach problems. I’ll never get how these huge science based companies get completely unnatural ingredients to work for any problem. Let alone the high acidic environment of an obligate carnivore. Hopefully it does work for you though. I dog sit a dog and a cat lives there too and his dad either feeds this or the sensitive stomach food and his fur is so greasy and gross. That’s the only thing I can comment on about this food. He’s a little obese too. Other than that though he poops normal and acts normal.
I also second the wet comment above. A cat with a history of urinary problems should be on either a full wet diet or at least half if you can’t do all wet for some reason.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I buy the expensive food I get a lot more problems for both my cats

I keep trying to get canned on him, he licks for 10 secs and into the trash it ends up

Both my cats went nuts for this corn filled royal canin, weird heh, like their vegetarians and nor carnivores

Last edited:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
In my opinion this stuff is a scam.

As I always say, no medical profession besides the veterinary profession recommends processed food over fresh food. It’s completely mind boggling how any vet can recommend a food devoid of moisture and high in carbs to resolve urinary and GI problems.

Sorry to be harsh, but I’m getting pretty tired of the complete lack of feline nutrition understanding in the vet community and the way pet food companies take advantage of consumers.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep trying to get canned on him, he licks for 10 secs and into the trash it ends up
You can leave the canned out on a plate for 3 hours. That's what I do, and my cats come back to it. Sometimes I add a Tablespoon of warm water to it.

My cats are similar, if they eat dry food it has to have at least 7% Fiber or they get constipated on it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, I just received my order for Royal Canin Gastrointestinal High Energy food for Oliver...

Feline Gastrointestinal High Energy™ Dry Cat Food - Royal Canin

[snip]

Anyone have experience with this food? Im wondering if I can give him Iams which is what he eats in between or even mix it?
I know it's more expensive that Iams, but have you considered trying the wet version of the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal High Energy food?

Feline Gastrointestinal High Energy™ in Gel Canned Cat Food - Royal Canin

My Ruby girl has a sensitive digestive system, and when I first adopted her I bought Iams canned and dry food, as that's what she was getting at the shelter. It gave her cow patty-like diarrhea, so for that reason, I don't recommend Iams food.

Ruby now eats mostly canned Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food. She does, however, get some kibble pieces of the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Moderate Energy food each day as "treats". This combinations keeps her digestive system happy, however, I have to keep the portion control to a science, as too many kibbles causes looser stools.

Good luck with Oliver, and Allie, as I know how frustrating kitty digestive issues can be.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have not found canned food Oliver wil eat, I also read its not just the fiber in the royal canin thats eases the constipation...

Ill update this with my conclusion to this food, despite its crap ingredients

Last edited:

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok im following up 10 days later

Oliver poops every morning, dookies are plentiful and has moisture....

The first 2 days he regurgitated couple times but he also had some huge hairballs, 3 in one week starting before this diet...Hes persian and shed most of his coat off for summer sooo...normal

After the first 2 days regurgitation has now stopped, knock on wood, hoping it was his transitional period..

He does not chew the food and I give him half royal canin and half iams, sometimes more iams then royal...Either way at this dosage his constipation has stopped completley from what I can tell... No more lactulose or pet wellbeing smooth bm

I am happy that he gets Iams as well with this as it has better ingredients then the royal canin..

I give him now .5ml of uromaxx daily, if he was on just the royal I would cut out the uromaxx completely...

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Which version of Iams did you buy? I've got the Hairball and Indoor ones, but I haven't opened them yet.
I give hims the orange bag hairball and I also have a pink bag healthy digestion. I mix either one in, but ill re buy the hairball one I think

The indoor hairball has less calories, im trying to get my cat fatter

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow this food sure makes my boy poop..

He pooped yesterday morning, in the evening and again this morning....The food truley does work, and im not even giving him this exclusively...
Im very happy, hes been gaining weight too

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lots of fiber and carbs will make cats poop a lot. Runs right through them as they can’t digest them most of the time.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nah, hes pooping a lot cause I am able to feed him twice as much as usual because hes not puking it all up like before

Before the gastro he was getting even more fiber from the iams hairball, the gastro has much less

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad Oliver is doing well on the new food. Sometimes the foods that agree with our sensitive digestive systems kitties aren't considered to have the "best" ingredients, but if they're not throwing up, and litter box deposits are normal, it's a positive thing.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok been a while my bag is light now

Oliver has not had constipation since, he does sometimes skip a day

Allie has had loose wet stools for many months, I put her on numerous foods from expensive to cheap...I could never solve it until... I started giving her olivers food mixed with her cheap stuff..I give her half and half and her wet stools are gone...Not only that but she used to poop once every 3-4 days since i got her and now she goes much more often...

I also mix olivers with iams etc....

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad your cats are doing well on the food. Despite the questionable ingredients there are a lot of cats that seem to do better on some of the "prescription" diets from this and other brands. I really think it comes down to whether or not they are sensitive to one or more of the filler ingredients. My cat doesn't tolerate most grains and is sensitive to chicken. None of the vet diets are a "cure" for him. But there is no denying that they seem to work well for some cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great that both cats are doing well on the gastrointestinal food. Thanks for the update.

Binkster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok been a while my bag is light now

Oliver has not had constipation since, he does sometimes skip a day

Allie has had loose wet stools for many months, I put her on numerous foods from expensive to cheap...I could never solve it until... I started giving her olivers food mixed with her cheap stuff..I give her half and half and her wet stools are gone...Not only that but she used to poop once every 3-4 days since i got her and now she goes much more often...

I also mix olivers with iams etc....
Thank you for relating your experience. I am dealing with identcal situation. Binky with hard stool and Shy with stool like pudding. Switched to rc rsponse and rc gi. Both have been resolvedso far (its onlybeen a week) but I wasn’t sure if shy was the one with loose stool since i have 2 other cats but since she is the one sharing binkys food, it must be her and after hearing your experience it makes me surer. Thx

Irisinatl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m glad this is working for you. My kittens when I adopted them had terrible loose stools not to mention some other medical issues. We started them on this for their dry and Science Diet ID Stew for their wet (they refused the RC High Energy wet) and it was magic. They’ve grown like weeds and are now eating all of the regular kitten food. I hope everything continues to go well.