Routine De-Worming for Outdoor Cat?

urbancalgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an indoor/outdoor 9 year old cat (and have had indoor/outdoor cats all my life).  We've always had them on flea and tick control, but not once has any vet ever suggested any de-worming products. 

I just watched my cat devour a huge rat and then Google about it.  Now I'm reading all these articles about worms and how they can even be transmitted to humans.  

My question is this: For those of you with indoor/outdoor cats- should my cat be dewormed regularly, or only if we see evidence of worms?  My cat goes outdoors to use the bathroom, so there's no litter box to check his fecal matter.

Thanks for any info.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

urbancalgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LOL I should clarify.  I Googled about it.  The way I worded this made it sound like I watched my cat do a Google search.  

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The general recommendation for an adult cat that goes outdoors is (de)worming every three months, not only because they eat prey, but also are more apt to be bitten by fleas. A lot of vets also recommend worming indoor-only cats a week or two before they receive any booster shots.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After de worming cats as kittens usually twice with ( it's a yellow liquid) strongid T, for the kind of worms that mother cats pass to kittens I play it by ear.
I have also have had in & out cats my whole life. I guess I did yearly for most, I used to live in a climate that ltter boxes were not needed.
But for the last 25 years I have needed litter boxes.
This winter my 7 cats have not gone out at all and I am feeling overwhelmed buy litter. It's the frist time cats on the table and counter ect has really grossed my out.
But your more likely to get worms from your cats in your yard, if you dig in the garden vegetables especially but flowers if you don't wear gloves and wash well after.
Right now I use the stuff that kills tape worms when I see segments being shed ,cat live with worms fairly well because they have been living together along time. I should say in the history of me and cats they have gone from saying tape worm comes from hunting, to any cat with fleas can get it fortunately we don't really get fleas.