Roundworms!

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry if this has already been discussed, but I can’t find any info on this. I found roundworms in one of cats poop, did the treatment, a lot more came out, now I am very worried about us humans of the house, especially about my 7-year-old daughter. We have no boundaries with cats, we kiss them, play with them, they get on table, kitchen counter, drink our water, eat our food, I mean, no boundaries whatsoever and for sure they got eggs everywhere in the house. I read that the eggs can survive longer than a year outside, and roundworms provoke serious health issues in humans, get in our lungs, liver, brain and eyes. And that if we are infected, we only get treatment for symptoms, unless the health situation of the human hosting roundworm is serious. How do I procede I am really freaking out cause we got them for sure, and am positive that eggs are all over the house?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From what I understand, humans would get roundworms from their cats only if they handle (with their hands and then don't wash up), their feces or litter or soil where their cats dig and bury their feces.

If you have any real worries about getting them, you really should discuss this with your own doctor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. Well, that was exactly what I wanted, but since I don’t know what are the chances I didn’t want to be silly if chances are low that we got them. I ask this because I read that they’d can have eggs in their anus, and smear them on whatever surface they come in contact with, eg. Bed sheets, kitchen counter (although I regularely disinfect it).

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother and I contracted roundworm whilst on holiday in Africa when we were small (7 and 9 years old). We had to drink THE MOST DISGUSTING SUBSTANCE IN THE WORLD to get rid of them. This human worming substance was readily available 'over-the-counter' in pharmacies. :spew:

After this first, real, episode, my brother was forever declaring that he had worms, and so my mum would stand over us until we'd drank the revolting cure. :barf:I very much doubt that he/we ever had any worms after the African ones but my mum, taking no chances, dosed us up. :nurse: I believe my brother had developed a phobia/fetish about worms, and so would drag poor little me into being medicated with the aforementioned stomach-churning wormer. :barfgreen: As you might be able to guess, the memories of being forced to drink this icky, yucky, vile pink liquid has remained with me, vividly, to this day!
:gaah:

I hope human roundworm medicine has come along since then, and that they've done something about the taste, which I cant stress enough was repulsive. :help: But, the good news is it was immediately effective even then, 35 years ago. So, fear not, and pop down to your local pharmacist and treat the whole family, whilst at the same time, treating your cats with vet prescribed wormer. Then, just wash your hands after every litter scoop and try not to worry, as contracting worms is less common than some would have us believe.
And, with any luck you won't have a worm obsessed brother like mine! :popworm:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Roundworm is called Pinworm when humans get it. Walgreens sells an over the counter medicine for humans called Reese's Pinworm Medicine. I've never tried it, but was thinking about it, to see if I have any.

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My brother and I contracted roundworm whilst on holiday in Africa when we were small (7 and 9 years old). We had to drink THE MOST DISGUSTING SUBSTANCE IN THE WORLD to get rid of them. This human worming substance was readily available 'over-the-counter' in pharmacies. :spew:

After this first, real, episode, my brother was forever declaring that he had worms, and so my mum would stand over us until we'd drank the revolting cure. :barf:I very much doubt that he/we ever had any worms after the African ones but my mum, taking no chances, dosed us up. :nurse: I believe my brother had developed a phobia/fetish about worms, and so would drag poor little me into being medicated with the aforementioned stomach-churning wormer. :barfgreen: As you might be able to guess, the memories of being forced to drink this icky, yucky, vile pink liquid has remained with me, vividly, to this day!
:gaah:

I hope human roundworm medicine has come along since then, and that they've done something about the taste, which I cant stress enough was repulsive. :help: But, the good news is it was immediately effective even then, 35 years ago. So, fear not, and pop down to your local pharmacist and treat the whole family, whilst at the same time, treating your cats with vet prescribed wormer. Then, just wash your hands after every litter scoop and try not to worry, as contracting worms is less common than some would have us believe.
And, with any luck you won't have a worm obsessed brother like mine! :popworm:
OMG! I am glad and pretty much reassured now that I read someone’s experience, I’m sorry you didn’t have pills available at the time, I found online that there are pills now against cat roundworms for humans... that shouldn’t be as painful to ingest

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Roundworm is called Pinworm when humans get it. Walgreens sells an over the counter medicine for humans called Reese's Pinworm Medicine. I've never tried it, but was thinking about it, to see if I have any.
I found that Latin name for pinworm is Enterobius vermicularis, and these cat roundworms are Toxocara cati, so they should not be the same species. Also, toxocara cant reach adulthood in humans and cannot lay eggs, therefore human to human infection is not possible, while with pinworms that’s not the case.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the Reese's Pinworm Medicine sold at Walgreens is Pyrantel Pamoate, the same thing used in Drontal for Roundworm in cats.

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the Reese's Pinworm Medicine sold at Walgreens is Pyrantel Pamoate, the same thing used in Drontal for Roundworm in cats.
The medicine I am giving my cats is for about 10 different kinds of parasites, among others the above mentioned Toxocara cati. What I found online for humans also acts for different types of worms. The medicine from Walgreens probably kills both types of parasites. But from what I gather they are not the same species.

Last edited:

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that my somewhat embarrassing childhood memory has helped put your mind at ease. Ahhh, them were the days! o_O
:) :) :) But, I gave medicine to my two resident cats at the same time, and no worms came out, only the foster has them, and they were more likely to catch them than us humans. I’ll still make an appointment with the paediatrician, but if the felines are safe I guess that so are we.