Roundworm Anxiety

Kylialle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! New to the site! I have 3 cats - all rescues. They are all indoor cats and we just moved into a new house about 4 months ago. We found 2 roundworms in a pile of vomit a few days ago. Not sure which cat or how so we were given liquid medication to treat in 3 week intervals for 3 weeks. They all share two litter boxes. I also have a 4 month old daughter who is putting hands in her mouth. I have a fear that the cats have spread the round worm eggs all over the carpet, bedding, furniture, counters (they have no boundaries). I have vacuumed and washed over and over but I know the eggs are strong. Their boxes are in a separate room. We got new boxes and scoop and clean daily. Wash hands after. I’m scared to touch the cats. Containing them in a room for weeks just isn’t an option. Can someone reassure me that I AM crazy and need to calm down? I’m assuming many people go through this worm situation without incident. I’m terrified of my baby catching them and going blind. Any suggestions or experiences?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Roundworms should be easy to get rid of. What medication did the vet give you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kylialle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for responding!They gave us Pyrantel suspension. It is working as I gave it to them 3 nights ago and just found a few dead worms in the litter box. I suffer from anxiety/OCD so this situation has been hitting me hard. Just worried the eggs are everywhere and my family will get infected. Hoping this is an irrational fear :/

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for responding!They gave us Pyrantel suspension. It is working as I gave it to them 3 nights ago and just found a few dead worms in the litter box. I suffer from anxiety/OCD so this situation has been hitting me hard. Just worried the eggs are everywhere and my family will get infected. Hoping this is an irrational fear :/
You are doing the right thing by asking here and doing research! That coupled with talking to your vet is always great. I would recommend, if you can afford it, to also apply revolution to all cats in the house. It is one of the best flea preventatives on the market and super safe. It also treats and prevents a few different species of worms including roundworms so if you continue with your vets suggestion of deworming and apply the revolution for a few months, everything should stabilize.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet say to give another dose in 2 or 3 weeks to kill the eggs that hatch? I probably have OCD too, though I never go to the doctor, so I know how you feel. But just do the best you can, wash bedding, towels, when you get the chance. Vacuum and maybe steam clean or shampoo the rugs when you get the chance. Don't overdo it, but just clean what you can when you can. Our houses can't be sterile anyway, no matter how hard we try. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your pediatrician too. He/she should be able to give you a realistic idea of how likely it is that your baby could contract roundworms. I don't think it's very likely. Even in developing countries it's usually hookworms that cause trouble. But that might help you feel better about it.

Kylialle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all! The vet did give us 3 doses to give over 9 weeks. My pediatrician wasn’t sure about it so that didn’t help. Ha! We have Advantage to put in them now and will look into revolution! I appreciate everyone’s responses!

Kylialle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s been a week since giving the cats the Pyrantel suspension. We have Advantage multi for flea prevention and I know it works on roundworms too. Is it okay to put this on them a week after? My husband already did and I will call my vet tomorrow to double check!

cute_sunny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is an old thread..but for people dealing with similar situation, I recommend putting cats in a separate room or space when they haven't been dewormed and while they are dewormed especially when you have kids. use disposable gloves and face mask to clean litter or pick up poop and wash hands thoroughly..the eggs only affect people if people don't wash their hands and somehow get their hands in their mouth (or rub eyes). most of worm eggs get killed by direct sunlight exposure. A spot that's always being exposed to the sun is safe. Humid place with less sunshine is a good place for eggs to survive and thrive. if you have a backyard or balcony, it can help to hang sheets there after washing.