Kitten
Purraise
I noticed a rough bald spot on my 3mo kitten today... What is it? Help :(

Attachments

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like ringworm. Could be other causes but I will state the most obvious with the little information given.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like ringworm to me too, if it is it will spread fast and to you too, so it needs to be treated right away. If it has been there for a while and hasn't spread it could be something else, take that picture in or send it to a vet, they can tell you for sure and prescribe something. Baths in solutions are very effective, you can get those at a farm center like Tractor Supply or Orschelns, they are usually sulphur based. If you get a little round lesion, buy athlete's foot fungicide, that works well in the early stages, and keep it covered with a band aide, that keeps it from spreading. A vet would be your best bet, send in the picture like I said or bring your kitten in, all the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pawseys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm really, REALLY hoping it's not ringworm! I can't afford taking her to the vet at the moment, but I've started her on antifungal cream. I feel so bad for putting e collar on her :(

Also, I forgot to mention, the bald spot is on her side close to her thigh and doesn't seem to bother her at all. She hasn't tried to scratch/lick/bite/whatever at it. She's acting like it's not even there. Is it possible for ringworm infection to not be itchy?

It was flakey(?) or scabby around the edges yesterday, but it's almost gone today. The skin's kinda pinkish. Other than that, it looks normal (no bumps etc).

I've never seen ringworm irl, and I hope it stays that way :'(

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might be extremely lucky and it may be just an injury,etc. If it was ringworm it would have spread rapidly, she would have like 5 spots in less than a week, and so would you! let's keep our fingers crossed, keep treating, it wouldn't hurt!

Pawseys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So...if there's no new spots on her or me in a week, it's not ringworm? Guess it's going to be one stressful week :(:bawling2: I'm already paranoid as it is, any small itch and I'm running to the closest mirror.

Is there any absolute indication that it IS (or isn't) ringworm?

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet used a blacklight to check for ringworm. Ringworm (dermatophyte) infection. | Long Beach Animal Hospital

Ringworm can have an incubation period. IF your cat is an indoors only cat for several weeks, I don't know where she could have gotten it from. IF she is licking it bare, it can look like that, from a bug bite or even a small scratch if you are not clipping her kitten-friends' nails.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My dog got ringworm and gave it to me. I got mane and tail medicated shampoo and it went away off her. Mine took longer to get rid of and I actually had 2. They didn' itch at first but then they did. The 12 total cats, and my 3 other dogs never got it just me. A dililated bleach solution dabbld on a couple times a day is what a vet suggested actually. When I mentioned it later. Looks just like the ringworm we got, and it goes away easy if u keep on top of it and just put the stuff on it it will go away.

Pawseys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet used a blacklight to check for ringworm. Ringworm (dermatophyte) infection. | Long Beach Animal Hospital

Ringworm can have an incubation period. IF your cat is an indoors only cat for several weeks, I don't know where she could have gotten it from. IF she is licking it bare, it can look like that, from a bug bite or even a small scratch if you are not clipping her kitten-friends' nails.
Maybe I should keep a blacklight.. could be handy the next time suspicious bald spot pops up on my kitties.

They're all indoors only. George (momma cat) might be too rough on her because she doesn't really want to nurse anymore (and lil kitty Tama is one persistent kitty :sigh:). But I dare not get my hopes up too high.

Pawseys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dog got ringworm and gave it to me. I got mane and tail medicated shampoo and it went away off her. Mine took longer to get rid of and I actually had 2. They didn' itch at first but then they did. The 12 total cats, and my 3 other dogs never got it just me. A dililated bleach solution dabbld on a couple times a day is what a vet suggested actually. When I mentioned it later. Looks just like the ringworm we got, and it goes away easy if u keep on top of it and just put the stuff on it it will go away.
Glad you and your furry residents managed to survive it :) Thanks for the tips!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diluted bleach water works well.Ask the vet if he recommends it with a call. The only tests for ringworm involve sending surrounding hairs to a lab and have them tested, that could take days!I would just keep treating it as ringworm and count yourself lucky it hasn't spread. If you don't see any more lesions by tomorrow, I think you've got it made!

Pawseys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Diluted bleach water works well.Ask the vet if he recommends it with a call. The only tests for ringworm involve sending surrounding hairs to a lab and have them tested, that could take days!I would just keep treating it as ringworm and count yourself lucky it hasn't spread. If you don't see any more lesions by tomorrow, I think you've got it made!
FINGERS CROSSED!!:crossfingers::crossfingers: