Rough Play.

Sibguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 month old kitty and he wants to play all the time when not sleeping which is normal and great but very rough. He is a boy. Even after play when you try to pet him most of the time he will grab and knaw your hand. Lots of pouncing at every thing that makes a bit of noise ruffles.
What is the best way to correct him from biting hands or chasing and playing with things he is not suppose to be like my toddlers feet.
We never use hands or feet for play, always toys. Seems when he is fired up playing, NO will not stop him form doing the wrong thing. Should I put him in his room?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
He's still very young and needs to learn what's a toy and not a toy. Does he have siblings to play with? another cat would help teach him this.
Do you have a wand toy? a stick with a string attached? if so, redirect his attention from your hands to the wand toy. Praise him as he plays with the wand.

if he bites hard and hurts you, Say "OUCH" loudly (not shouting) or even a hiss and pull away without hurting him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats don't really "get" time out. What they do get, every one of them, is a sharp hiss. THAT is cattish for STOP THAT to ALL cats.

You might also find some helpful advice in this article, How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats. Do remember that a lot of this is a function of his age. They are all rambunctious at that age, and are wired by nature to play like that. For your kitten, playing is practice for eventually hunting and killing prey. Never mind that he won't actually have to do that. Instinct tells him that he must be ready. Patience, Grasshopper. This little ball of fire will cool down with time and training!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sibguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok great will work on my hissing lol. Makes complete sense thank you. I know it's very normal and when he isnt that rough and tough little terror he is actually a very good boy. No counter tops, does not chew anything and just pleasent!!

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a kitten that was a nightmare in the kitten/teen phase. I used to try to put her in a room to calm down but all that did was teach her to sprint out and be fearful. I tried other stuff unsuccessfully too.
The most successful thing I found was I made the top of her cat tree, that she hardly ever uses, her "naughty spot". Being up high can calm a cat and after a prolonged period of her immediately jumping down she stayed and stays until I tell her she can come down. Now she knows if she gets out there that a) she did something wrong b) she stays till I can see she's calmed.
Personally I let my cat play with my hands as over time they can learn your pain threshold and anything that helps keep my cat amused makes my last fe easy.