Rotation question (canned+homemade)

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For those who have experience making nutritionally adequate home made raw/cooked catfood, how should one hypothetically rotate homemade with commercial canned food? Especially if one is not confident in their homemade quite yet and is simply including canned for nutrient variation and safety around that area in particular.
I've seen raw dog feeders do commercial once a week, I've been doing homemade every other day.
What I am wondering is, would feeding commercial-canned once every three days or every week rather than every other day be safe?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I feed my three homemade raw (chicken thighs and pork) using EZ Complete. I also give them an occasional meal of canned for variety. I don’t keep to any kind of schedule, though, in terms of the canned. I do alternate the chicken and pork homemade, but I feed a canned meal whenever I think of it. It could be a couple of days in a row and then not for a week. They much prefer the homemade. I have to encourage them to eat the canned, but I think it’s important that they’re familiar with it in case of emergency. I feed them twice a day and when I feed canned, it’s only in the evening, but that’s because of the peculiarities of Iris’s tummy, not because it matters otherwise.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can feed as much or as little of the canned food as you want. There are no hard and fast rules. I give a little bit of canned food every other day or so. It probably makes up a total of about 20% of the cats' diets.