Rotate Wet Food For Kittens

AnnieLu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I’m going to have two three months old kittens in October and here is a question. Rotating wet food brand may help kitties not becoming so picky. So how often should I rotate a food for them? Do I have to gradually introduce a new taste wet food every time I change the taste?

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What I did was give my kitty the same food that she was getting at the shelter until she was comfortable and confident in her new home. For Neko-chan, it took a week. Then, while continuing with kibble, I started trying different flavors and brands until I found 3 she ate happily.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned food can be rotated every few days or so. Try different proteins and textures and brands.

Cats can be picky with a new food. Some may gobble up a new food right away while others snub it for awhile before they make a decision. If you're not sure if your kittens will like a new food, just buy a single can to try and offer a small sample at meal time when you know the kittens are hungry and more apt to eat anything. You can either put the sample in its own bowl /plate or mix it with food you know the kittens do like.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do I have to gradually introduce a new taste wet food every time I change the taste?
By "new taste" [of] wet food, do you mean -- the same brand of food but different "tastes" (like the taste of Duck, or Chicken, or Rabbit) of each brand? In that case, the "tastes" are actually different proteins so I guess, yes, I would do it a bit slow, knowing that some kittens or cats could react to or process different proteins differently. If they are not different brands, you might be able to do quicker rotations with no serious "bad poo effects" though. But each kitten is an individual! I would give my own cat when she was a kitten 2-5 days for each rotation of "tastes" within the same brand. She did okay with that. As she got older than 6 months, I rotated different brands too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnnieLu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By "new taste" [of] wet food, do you mean -- the same brand of food but different "tastes" (like the taste of Duck, or Chicken, or Rabbit) of each brand? In that case, the "tastes" are actually different proteins so I guess, yes, I would do it a bit slow, knowing that some kittens or cats could react to or process different proteins differently. If they are not different brands, you might be able to do quicker rotations with no serious "bad poo effects" though. But each kitten is an individual! I would give my own cat when she was a kitten 2-5 days for each rotation of "tastes" within the same brand. She did okay with that. As she got older than 6 months, I rotated different brands too.
Wow really? That's different than what I thought. I thought rotation within the same brand could be quicker than different brand:yess: