Rosie

auntie ev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

So little Rosie has been living indoors with us for over a year now. She's done very well, thanks in large part to my old boy Henry, who helped her to adjust to people, house noises, and my family's routines. He was the king of cool, and really encouraged her to find her groove. Henry passed away in December at the age of 18. Hit me like a bunch of bricks anyway and I didn't get another cat. Rose gets all the attention now, and she seems to be soaking it up. She is still feral in that I can't pick her up, and she is no lap cat, but she loves belly rubs and generally seems happy in the house.

However - last week she stopped eating for 2 days. On the third day she was eating well, but I took her to the vet anyway. They did a full blood panel and took xrays etc. Nothing seemed to be wrong, although the vet wondered if she had had a bladder infection and gave antibiotics by injection. No vomiting, no fever, no symptoms, really (other than avoiding her food bowl).

She continued to eat kibble, but in little bits, on Friday night and on Saturday. Today seemed better - she actually sat down to eat - but now she has skipped dinner and seems totally uninterested.

I think I have spent 150.00 on food, and most of it she won't touch. I can't tell you how many cans of wet food I have opened, heated, mixed, or mashed. She won't eat any wet at all, no matter what. She is drinking though, a good amount of water.

Has anybody had this happen with a feral? She's so fussy I'm afraid that we're going to have to try steroids or worse, a feeding tube. Any thoughts or suggestions? If breakfast is no better I am calling the vet back.

Thoughts, support, tips - all most welcome...
Cher

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry she has not been eating. It's good though that her vet check did not turn up anything.

Try Gerber turkey or chicken meat baby food. Most cats love it.

Some cats decide to go off wet food periodically. I have several cats who prefer dry food to wet, so I let them free-feed dry food 24/7. They are all healthy. Cats do drink more water when they do not eat wet food.

I hope she feels better soon!

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two things that come to mind are possibly kidney issues or a thyroid issue. My cat started to drink a lot of water when his kidneys were starting to fail. I imagine your vet checked for that?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it hot where you live? It's 90 degrees now in my neck of the woods, and I don't have central air and my cats are definitely eating less. Your vet could prescribe an appetite stimulant for a few days--that would be the next logical step before anything drastic like a feedng tube. Also, in hot weather, dry food becomes stale more quickly and needs to be replaced in the bowl at least every 12 hours.. Are you leaving dry food out 24/7? If not, you may want to consider doing this. In the summer cats will often wait until it's night time to eat, when it's cool and dark.

Noah Vosa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish I could help more, but honestly sending prayers Rosie's way! I hope she feels better soon. God bless.

BombayKittyLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not being able to pick her up is perfectly fine! Some cats just don't like to be held. I have seen at least five cats who are totally friendly and let you pet them just fine, but will through a hissy fit if you try to pick them up. It is also really cool that you are able to pet her!:)

As for not eating the food, you might want to check in with a vet on that. It is also very possible that she just doesn't like them. :dunno: Keep trying and most importantly give her extra pets!! Maybe she will come around and let you pick her up. You never know!

Sending the best of wishes! Good luck!