Roommates leave window open, worried cat will escape...

misscalico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I just moved with my cat into a new house this month that is shared with a few other people and another cat.  My cat is mainly an indoor cat, but has been outside supervised a bit.  I was planning on taking her out in the yard when I was outside, but not any other time, which I told my housemates before I moved in.  What they didn't mention to me is that they have a window they keep open all the time for their cat to go in and out of.  I asked if they could keep it closed and just let their cat in and out, but they don't want to do that.  I'm afraid my cat will run away or get hit by a car since she is 10 years old and has never been allowed to roam free, so doesn't have the street smarts of an outdoor cat.  She already snuck out a couple of times and once I found her in front of the house near the road. At the moment I am keeping her in my room unless I am able to watch her, but she is not happy about that and runs out every time I need to get in or out of the room, and hisses and snarls when I try to get her back in.  I am going to move somewhere else when I can find a place, but in the meantime I am considering relocating her to my grandparents house, where I know she'll be safe.  I don't want to stress her out my moving her so many times, but I'm super stressed out worrying about her escaping.  I guess what I want to know is, what would other people do in this situation?  She has lived with my grandparents before, so it's not a completely unfamiliar place, but she hasn't been there in 5 years, so I don't know if she'll remember.  She doesn't really like people other than me, and I won't be able to be there much because they are in another city.  Thoughts?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi misscalico, and welcome to TCS!

Do your Grandparents have pets? If not,I think it's the best situation.  Even if they have, I still think it's a good idea.

You can settle her in nicely by making sure her scent and familiar things are around the place beforehand, and if your Grandparents are ok with it, use a feliway diffuser in one room and just keep her there initially.

That's my opinion.. let's see what others have to say.

overwhelmed2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would leave her with your grandparents - you know they will look after her and keep her safe until you are in a place where you can keep her safe. You will probably have a lot of peace of mind knowing she is well looked after and she will settle in eventually.

cindykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tell your roommates to install a cat door. It's generally a lot safer than just leaving a window open, anyways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misscalico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your thoughts everyone!  My grandparents do have a dog, but she lived with him before and it was fine, so I think she will get used to him again.  I thought about suggesting a cat door, but I'm just renting a room from them, and they don't seem open to changing anything.  

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!  My grandparents do have a dog, but she lived with him before and it was fine, so I think she will get used to him again.  I thought about suggesting a cat door, but I'm just renting a room from them, and they don't seem open to changing anything.  
Even if they did get a cat door, it doesn't solve your problem.

I hope it all goes smoothly.. I'm sure it will.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 I thought about suggesting a cat door, but I'm just renting a room from them, and they don't seem open to changing anything.  
Not much you can do, since it's their house and they too have a cat. I second the grandparents' house suggestion - it really is best for her. Sidenote: is she spayed?

misscalico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok i will update.  She's going this weekend. Thanks!

misscalico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In case anyone was wondering, I relocated my cat to my grandparents last weekend, and it seems to be going ok.  She is mostly staying in their basement and sometimes hisses at them, but she's getting better. She has pooped in their shower a couple of times, which is unusual for her though.   I miss her and I'm sure she doesn't love being in a different place without me, but I think will be ok for now.  Hopefully I will be able to find a new apartment in the next month or two and can get her back.  

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for letting us know @misscalico

I hope she settles a little better.. at least you know she's safe.  Remember that Feliway may help