Roomate Smokes Pot, How Much Will It Affect My Cats?

a028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Basically the title. I've been living with her for 8 months and she smokes it daily for 'medicinal reasons'. She always shuts her door and opens the window when she does. The cats mainly hang out in my room or the living room and scarcely wander into her room (but I'm away at work most nights so maybe they do?) but I'm still worried as it's listed as a poison for cats and the apartment is quite small. Is it only a problem if ingested? After doing an x-ray for a different thing, my vet found that of my cats has asthma but says because she doesn't cough or struggle breathing, she doesn't really need any medication yet, but the pot smoking probably won't help her. I too have asthma but I feel fine most of the time.

Lately they've both been spitting up a bit but are otherwise eating normal and are alert. (I mostly blame myself for not feeding them enough on time or that they ate too fast. But I'm a hypochondriac and I project this onto my cats and panic thinking they're dying.)

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd say the smoke is what you should be most worried about and try to just keep them away from that as much as possible. But don't worry too much.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The main danger, according to this, is the ingestion (eating) of marijuana, or of items baked with marijuana. This seems to be well-researched, and is clear and easy to read: Marijuana Intoxication in Cats and Dogs | drbarchas.com. Just make sure that your roommate keeps her marijuana locked safely out of your cats' reach, in her own room, and be aware that if she does NOT have a valid prescription for medical marijuana and is busted, you are going to go with her. Protect yourself, and ask to see some paperwork. She should be happy to set your mind at ease about it.

Now, as for the smoke, the small amount that your cats are exposed to is probably not an issue, although vomiting is listed on the symptoms of toxicity. You might ask your roomate to tuck a towel under the door of her room as an extra safety precaution. I don't think that it will adversely affect your cat's asthama. It used to be prescribed for asthma before it was made illegal, because it opens up the bronchiols and eases the spasms. LOL, my mom smoked it as an asthmatic child, under the brand name "Green Mountain Asthma Powder." They would put the powder in a dish and light it, then the patient would inhale the smoke. It was marijuana. And a few other things, but the main ingredient was pot.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use a HEPA air purifier in your home to keep allergens like the smoke to a minimum and prevent the cat's asthma from getting any worse. An air purifier in the roommate's room and one in the living room or other common space would help.