Room Mate Crisis

Imogenxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i live with a roommate and they are unhappy with my 3 cats. i have 3 boys a rescue persian, a disabled ragdoll persian cross and a little ragdoll baby. she is really unhappy having litter trays in the house but we live in the uk on a main road where it is not safe to let them be outdoor cats. im very meticulous about windows and doors to keep my boys safe. they do go out in the garden on harness' though (except my disabled baby). she wants some kind of shed built in our car park but it is on the main road and very noisey and it will get really loud in there i imagine if it rains. does anyone have any type of safe cat friendly conversions they could share. it either this or i move else where and im considering it just to keep my boys away from all the noise happy. i know its only their trays going outside with a catflap coming back into the house but its made me feel really cornered and i feel i am running out of options. i see why shes unhappy, i have a disease so i can be a little delayed picking up their poos if i am having a bad health day but the tray are ALWAYS clean so its really not a drama. please any suggestions would be amazing

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A catio with a wood roof? I say wood or some other material that wouldn't be quite a noisy as a metal topped catio would be when it is raining. Although, if any of your cats are like mine, they are NOT going to go out there when it is raining anyway - so you would still have to have litter trays inside in case. Just do an internet search for 'catios' to see the myriad of options there are. They can be affixed to a window/door with a cat flap.

If by chance your cats would use covered litter trays, that might help some with the smell. If none of the ones you have now are covered, I would buy one and see if they would use it. But, I am gathering one uncovered one would have to kept for your disabled girl?

So sorry your roommate is making this difficult for you. She could help resolve the problem by volunteering to help keep the trays clean - but, I am gathering she is not interested assisting you or she would have already offered.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with you that moving the trays outside would not be a good option. What kind of trays do you have? And what is your rommate's objection - sight or smell?

There are many ways to disguise litter trays so they are less intrusive looking. I got a custom made scratching post litterbox 'cover' from www.kalven.co.uk. Its basically a box with one open side for access, with a scratch post and perch on top. It easily accommodates one of my big covered cat litter boxes, and the cats love it. You can also get various cupboards or boxes to hide litter trays in, and I've seen some good IKEA based DIY ones in the past too.

If the boxes are kept clean, as you say, smell really shouldn't be a problem. However, adding a little bicarbonate of soda (baking soda in the US) will help with any smells. (Incidentally, a scattered layer of bicarb underneath clumping litter helps stop things from sticking to the box ;) ).

Other tips for keeping your roommate happy are having litterbox wipes (Pets at Home have great ones) by the boxes for spot cleaning, a mini dustpan and brush for sweeping up scattered litter (essential if you have hard floors), and litter mats in front of the boxes to catch any litter before it gets trodden around the place.

Another option, though not ideal, would be to keep the boxes in your bedroom. I've had boxes in my room before, and it really wasn't that big of a deal. It might be a better compromise than having them outside.

I'm sorry your roommate is unhappy with the litterbox situation. I hope you can find a compromise that suits all 5 of you very soon.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
U may have to end up moving to have PEACE of mind for ureself n ure kitties.I wouldn't turn my whole life around or my kitties life around just for a roommate.Do what is comfortable n best for u n ure kitties.:yess::goodluck::crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Imogenxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much for the responses! they are lidded litter trays (very nice expensive ones might i add haha) i think the issue isnt actually the trays more the idea of them. ill definitely try the baking soda thing!! we have talked about a litter box disguise type of thing as mentioned so you cant see them. that may be a solution then keep them in my room. im mainly worried outside would be a bad option for my disabled boy as he suffered really bad from seizures and anxiety and i have finally been able to cut out his meds and get it from multiple a day to 2 a month. he gets anxious when he can hear noise but not see where its coming from so im so scared if it rains hell just freak out, fit and then wont bother going back in anyway so well just have to move the trays back in. also my rescue lived in something similar before we took him home from the shelter so im not convinced hell be happy about going back outside as he hated it before. 2/3 are the types that if they are spooked theyll hold their wee in and i have to go get it drained out by the vets so i try keep them warm and happy and stress free as much as possible. im also concerned about not being able to hear when they have gone for wees because like i said i have had a couple issues so i like to know if they are holding so i can take them to the vets as soon as it approaches 24hrs.
feebys owner, i would love to see your caito so i can get an idea of sizes ect and see if its something i could get on board with. ill do lots of googling today to see what i can come up with

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Imogenxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
its one of those situations where she wanted the cats, loved them as kittens and gets upset if they dont give her enough cuddles but then complains about trays and fur. i said she should shut her door to keep fur out and forget about the trays but she wants the cat cuddles so its just impossible. (i am also very on top of hoovering btw but of course with 3 long hairs if you let them lay on your clothes you will get up covered in persian fluff haha)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Based on all that you have told us, I think trying to get furniture pieces that hide the trays or just moving them to your room are the better options. As far as your roommate goes, I am not sure you are really going to be able to find a solution that will thoroughly satisfy her, so you need to do what is best for you and the cats.

feebys owner, i would love to see your caito so i can get an idea of sizes ect and see if its something i could get on board with. ill do lots of googling today to see what i can come up with
I don't personally have a catio, because I have a screened in patio and that is where Feeby spends her time. This is just a drawing of one of a ton of examples of different catios, as you will find out when you search the internet!!

hiya_unicorns

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have litter trays inside what looks like a side table, they have an opening on the side the cats go in and out of, and they look nice. Maybe if the appearance doesn't look like litter tray it might help? I don't have a very good picture of mine, but in the photo below you can see it sorta just blends in in the background, no one would know it's a litter pan holder: