Room divider to stop cats escaping?

cattycd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and I would like some feedback on my idea for Cyclops and Diego.

My new place has an open doorway (no closed-in foyer) and I was thinking of purchasing a room divider to seperate the closest frame. That way, I would have a little diy "closed-in foyer" where I wouldn't have to worry about them running outside as I enter or leave the house. Something that looks like this :

What do you think? Would they knock it over if it's 6 feet tall? Which design do you think would be better, the one with legs or without?

Thanks in advance!

Catherine

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The problem with room dividers is that your cats might be tempted to try and climb them...with potentially dangerous consequences (the possibility of their pulling the divider down with their weight).

I'd think a screen door would be a safer option.

If that isn't workable, then you'd need to make certain that they wouldn't be able to pull the divider over if they got too adventurous! I'm not sure which style would work better for you - there are pros and cons to both. If you went with one on legs, you'd need to make sure that the gap at the bottom wasn't big enough to admit an enterprising and inquisitive feline...its amazing how ingenious they can be when they get really determined :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattycd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very true. I have considered the screen door, however, the frame where I am thinking to place this divider is not a doorway therefore it would be quite expensive to put a custom screen door there. Maybe some hinges on one side of the divider? Plus, the room divider is much prettier!

My cats are puzzle masters. They definitely like to figure out how to get into things. You name it...cupboards...drawers...destroying auto-feeders...destroying cupboard-encased auto-feeders...destroying cupboard-encased auto-feeders with protective funnels...I could go on.

Hope I win this battle!

nosetoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your cats are determined enough to run outside, I don't think a room divider is going to do much to stop them. 
 I would expect them to try to climb or jump over it, and unless you secure it to the wall somehow it's definitely at risk of falling over (on them, on you, or on something breakable!). Maybe try attaching it with hinges on one side and some sort of fastener to the wall on the other? You almost need one of those collapsible elevator gates that they have in old buildings, but that might cost you quite a bit too. 

I second the screen door idea as a safer alternative, but definitely an uglier one. I've watched one of my cats scale a screen door in seconds like a ninja, and I can only imagine the terrible claw marks you'd be looking at if that happened regularly. 

grrr cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is a good idea to  invest in mircochips.