Roof Cleaning Chemicals?

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is the best place to post.

My apartment complex just hired a company to treat my roof. I'm not sure what chemicals they used, but the notice that they posted on my door yesterday says that the chemicals will kill plants and damage clothing, and based on the strong smell, I'm guessing it was partly bleach.

My problem is, my kitten likes to walk outside, especially in the grass and mud, and around the drainage pipes that come from the roof. I'm worried that whatever chemicals they used could make her sick. Has anyone here had experience with roof treatment? Should I keep her from going out, and for how long?

Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depending on the weather where you are it should be fine in a few days. Most of the hazards with a majority of the roofing chemicals are from fumes so within a few days that will fade. The signs are probably more of a CYA for the contractor so people don't come chasing after them for dead plants or saying they brushed up against something that spilled. If you have rain or snow in the area then you should be fine within a week, if not probably give it 10 days just to be safe.

I actually had my roof redone not to long ago and didn't even think about it. Our cats were out there while it was being worked on and walking around on the freshly laid roof about 48 hours after the work was finished. No problems to report over here.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently cats are attracted to the smell of bleach (along with numerous other noxious chemicals). However, I'd just keep her inside for a few days; keep an eye on her digestive and behavioural habits; and do as mservant suggests, to be on the safe side. And, I'd probably nose about the drainage pipes to see how the plants are fairing. But, I agree with Keika not to panic too much as roofs are renovated all the time and most cats love acrobatics up high.