Roni: Blood in urine

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Long story short, there is a lot of blood in Roni's urine, like a quite noticeable amount. I think it's more than a UTI would produce.

She had a convenia shot a couple of weeks ago (I know, but I had little choice) when we stopped the antibiotic that she was not tolerating.

She has a history of kidney stones, of the oxalate variety I believe... bottom line - Can a cat pass a kidney stone? I've heard conflicting opinions on this matter, even from vets. I'm wondering if she is trying to pass one. She's having a bad day, not terrible - but mostly sleeping.She is purring and eating and happy to be pet, so the day isn't that bad.

Anyway, with the amount of blood, I was wondering if they do pass them and that could be going on. She has a vets apt tomorrow for fluids, if it's been two weeks since the convenia, I'm going to request a round of baytril. She seems to respond to that, and since she is on amitriptyline - there are a lot of things she can't take.

Anyway - kidney stone. The can pass them like people can, yes? I may request an x-ray tomorrow too, but not putting her thru the stress of an ultrasound since the closest place is about an hour away and the last time she had one, when they shaved her tummy, the shaved off a nipple. So they are high stress for her.

Thanks!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you move up her appointment to today?  How long has she been passing this noticeable bloody urine?  I don't know whether they can pass a kidney stone or not, but I would think if they could, and she IS, she would be secluded somewhere because of the pain.  BTW, she may be purring to try to comfort herself, rather than for the reason you may think

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to keep the appt for tomorrow, they book up fast on weekends.
She has had kidney stone issues for about 5 yrs, ad I'm pretty sure she has passed them before. Today She went out, had lots of lap time with me with the purring when I pet her - so she's not secluding herself. And eating.

Some days that she doesn't get her subQs, her urine seems normal, but since she has a tendency to pee on plastic sheeting (long story), I really noticed that blood this Am.

Oh and I did give her some extra pain meds.
I'll bring a urine sample tomorrow and see what the vet says.

Thanks -

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for asking.

I brought in a urine sample that they didn't test this time, I'll bring in one tomorrow.

She is in agreement that it could be a kidney stone, or possibly a UTI (she said that they can produce an awful lot of blood sometimes) or possible cancer. I guess the only definitive test for cancer is an ultrasound.

SO, since she gets very stubborn UTIs, and it was a hair short of safely administering another Convenia injection - we are going to wait until mid week when it is safe to give her another and run more bloodwork in the two weeks after that. I'm back to pushing the subQs, even though I was trying to ease up and see how she responded - but if she is trying to move a stone, then I'll keep her on every other day for now.

We were talking about an x-ray, but it was close to 5 on a Sunday, so I'll ask when I take her back on Tuesday for fluids. Frankly, and I don't mean to sound crass, but the bills are adding up. If it is a kidney stone, there really isn't anything I can do about it - if it is cancer, I'm in the same boat (she is 18, and I'm not putting her through anything too aggressive at this point).

Part of me is saying why spend them money if there is nothing I can do anyway, but I would like to know.

She woke me up crying last night from downstairs, again I don't know if she is crying from pain or crying for her brother. I brought her back to bed with me and after a few jumps up and down, she settled in and spent the rest of the night there.

The vet sent me home with some stronger kidney-safe/amitriptyline safe pain meds, but I didn't want to give them to her when I had to leave for work this AM. So I'll give her some more before dinner tonight.

So we wait. She is eating, with bright eyes, and going outside on her little catmint trips. I've been watching her closely for signs of pain, she really doesn't look like it, but cats hide it so well.

While I know it must hurt like heck, I just hope she is passing a stone. I've seen it before, she acts "off" for a few days and then lets me know she is feeling better by rubbing all over and acting maniacally happy. Silly cat.

Again, thanks for asking. I'm in a bit of a pickle, and feel pretty helpless, but doing what I can without making her life miserable.