Romeo - paracetamol poisoning

lindzaypage

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a 3 month old kitten he weighs about 1kg, he was in a bit of pain the last few weeks and I couldn't get him to the vet so I called one and it was recommended I give some compal for pain in the meanwhile, I did not know it contained paracetamol and that that was poisonous to cats, he consumed about 3mls and I was only able to get him to the vet about 20 hours later as it was a Sunday.. he did not have any symptoms by this time and they have admitted him.. what im asking is what are the chances of his survival, pls anyone with a similar experience so I can prepare myself

Lucy&Petra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he had no symptoms and you've gotten him to the vet, I don't see why his chances wouldn't be good. I'm praying for your little one!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Paracetamol can have an immediate reaction, which you would have probably noticed...so it is great that he did not seem to show this. There can also be longer term issues as it can affect the liver. Again, I am not saying that this happened to your cat, so try to remain calm but discuss this with the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindzaypage

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone know the chances of a kitten surviving paracetamol poisoning at the vet

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't had experience with this, but what did the vet say about this?

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What size kitten? How many mg of Tylenol? Hopefully kitten is hospitalized. How soon did you get kitten to vet after ingestion?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindzaypage

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I recently went through an experience of paracetamol poisoning of 120 mg with my 3month old 1kg kitten, it has been tough and it was a very emotional journey, but after 4 days at the vet he is doing great with the treatment, obviously we have to follow up next week to make sure he is still fine, I am just posting this so that if anyone in the future goes through the same thing they can have some peace of mind, because I searched the whole web and everything I found just make me worry more but there deffintly is a good chance ur cat will be okay if taken to the vet

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for letting us know this good news! Please keep us posted.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the vet you called and who gave you the advice to give "compal for pain" (can you clarify what that is?) the same as your regular vet or a different vet? Did the vet give you the brand name of a OTC Human pain medicine and a suggested dose or just gave you a vague "go to the store and buy any pain medicine" type answer?