Rolling in Litter box! Help....

hotspot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Spot is around 4 months and a half old. Spot keeps going into his litter box to roll around in and sometimes, just sit in there. No matter how many times I tried to stop him, he does it again and again. I clean out his stool often so he doesn't actually roll around in his own poop, but it's still kind of gross to go in it and play around and to just sit in there. I don't know how to get him to stop going in it other than to actually use it for its purpose. Any advice?

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Maine coon often sat in his litter box around that age. He didn't roll around it often but there were occasions when he did. I don't have advice, it frustrated me too, but he did eventually just grow out of it.

miannorvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you take his waste out as soon as he is done? Maybe he is upset because his "mark "is gone so he is "replacing " it. I know as soon as I am done cleaning the litter box daily Norville is inside, pee's, then scratchs, the sides for what seems forever all around the box., then just sits in the entry. Mia never wants in. She doesn't try to mark her place. She never tries to get in until she really has to go again!  LOL

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My little guys, who are six months old now, did that when I first got them, probably for a couple of months. They were 8 weeks old when I got them. They just had the jolliest ol' time treating the litter box like it was a sand box. They haven't done it for awhile now though.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It must be a phase kittens go through at a certain age. Although the kittens at the shelter quickly learn to use the box, they also view it as a playground for several weeks (and love to help you "dig for buried treasure"). Spot will outgrow that behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hotspot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm, I guess it is a phase like thing for kittens. I do clean out Spot's waste as quickly as I can, usually right after. Now that I think about it, he does go into the litter box after I clean it out. I guess it's a common behavior. I'll just have to wait and see if he grows out of this habit. Thanks for the replies.