Rodney and his mom Girlfriend

ajno

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They've been gone 7 and 6 months but it still hurts. Rodney was 15 when he passed away on May 20th. He was looking pretty skinny and had been snoring so I thought he had a URI. To my suprise the vet told me he had tumors in his lungs and at his stage he would only have days to live. I took him home knowing I'd bring him back the next day to have him put down. We showered him with as much love as we could. I'll never forget the morning before I took him in. He always liked my husband better. He came into the bedroom and jumped up on my husband's chest and started to purr. At that stage moving was very difficult for him because he couldn't draw in a full breath. It was like Rodney was saying goodbye. That afternoon I took him to the vet. He rode on my lap like always liked to do. I brought him in and I had my purple blanket that my grandma made for me 25 years ago and wrapped him up in it. He went very quickly and peacefully. I took him home and held him for a little while then dug a grave for him behind my house on the hill. He used to love going back there to catch birds,mice, and snakes. He'd hide in the ivy and he stuck out like a sore thumb because he was black/white and the ivy was red/green. I put some rocks that I got from our cabin in Idaho to mark his grave.
Girlfriend, Rodney's mom passed away exactly four weeks after him on June 24th. She had her first surgery 2 years ago on her ears. 1 1/2 years later we had to repeat another surgery because he ears filled with tumors again. The last surgery the vet informed me that she had melanoma and eventually the cancer would win. I took her home and enjoyed every day I had with her. I got her when she was 4 weeks old from a consignment shop. She had these dark beautiful blue eyes and a stubby tail. She was white with different shades of brown on her torti pattern. She was covered in fleas and her skin literally crawled it was so bad. So I took her home and cleaned her up. She turned into such a beauty. She was soo funny. When she turned 1 she snook out and came home tthe next morning pregnant. She had 4 kittens and we kept one (Rodney) all her kittens had the same funky stub like tails. Girlfriend was the kitty that stole my heart. She was so unique and it's almost like we were in sync with eachother. She always told me when she was sick. She also was a huge comfort when I recovered through some health stuff. 4 weeks after Rodney passed Girlfriend started hiding in the corner, which was unusual for her. She had stopped eating 2 days before that so I took her to the vet. The vet informed me her cancer had spread into her lungs. He gave her a few shots to hopefully give me more time. I took her home and she kept hiding and refused to eat. I loved and pampered her knowing I would be bringing her back to the vet the next day to put her down. If I didn't do it Thursday my vet would be closed the next 3 days and I worried about her getting worse and being miserable. So Thursday June 24th I took her to be put down. Brought the purple blankie that I loved so much to wrap her in. She was very stressed. They came in and gave her the shot to relax her. So never got relaxed. They gave her the final shot to stop her heart and she will still with us. They had to give her another one. It was one of the hardest things to go through. I still wonder if I did the right thing. I miss those two sooo much. I feel a little guilty because her euthanasia wasn't as smooth as Rodney's. Anyways they've been on my mind lately so I guess I needed to get this out. Since they've passed I've become more aware about nutrition and being better about getting any of my pets to the vet and making a point not to wait too long. I guess I follow my gut now. Before I always worried about overeacting now I don't. In the end the only thing I could have done differently was feed better food. So after loosing those guys the house felt empty and I ended up bringing home some sick kittens from the farm. So even though losing them hurt so much, its not going to stop me from giving another cat that would very likely die and loving and safe home.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your losses. Those little critters sure do get under our skin and in our hearts, don't they? We just had our Callie put to sleep today. She also needed a second shot to finally stop her heart. For us, though it was peaceful. Praying for your heart to heal and for the love you still have to give to other kitties.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss of Rodney and Girlfriend. I know how much it hurts, believe me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ajno

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad that someone had a cat who needed an extra shot. I always thought because she needed it meant she wasn't ready to go. After posting about it its helped a little bit.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss. It must have been terrible to lose both of them so close together. We probably all question what we could have done differently, but ultimately there's nothing we can do to stop them from passing and we can only treasure the memories. , Rodney and Girlfriend.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a lovely tribute to Rodney and Girlfriend. You certainly did all and more for these two friends....what more can anyone do.

They have eachother at the Bridge. I bet Rodney is in the ivy there, still sticking out like a sore thumb waiting for something to jump at. And Girlfriend is nearby.

God bless these two wonderful kitties.