Rodent ulcer on senior cat with FIV+

edandjill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a 14 year old cat that has many issues including IBS, hyper thyroid, myocarditis, high blood pressure, and FIV+. She recently has been diagnosed with rodent ulcer and had laser surgery to treat it. A biopsy was done and it came back negative. It was healing but recently flared back up larger than before and there is a foul smell emanating from her mouth area. The vet also noticed a growth on the inside of her mouth on the rear molars on the same side. Because of the heart issues she has not had a dental in many years so it may be bad teeth or some kind of cancer. She cannot have the steroid treatment for rodent ulcer due to being FIV+ and also the heart issues.

Are there any other treatments that can be used to get the swelling down besides steroids? Or any other recommendations for treatment?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are FeLV positive. I give them DMG every day to keep their immune systems strong. They used to get feline herpes cold symptoms often, none since I started. I also use Oratene drinking water additive to help their teeth, so far so good. Your cat has a compromised immune system, it would be VERY important to keep him inside at all times to avoid disease. A cold could kill. I know how worrisome these things can be. All the luck......

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi E edandjill !

WOW! This little one has a lot going on.

My suspicions go directly to that growth near the rear molars as the cause of the foul smell. I don't like the sound of it.

However, your question relates to the Rodent Ulcer.

If I were in your shoes, I would be putting her story/your question to folks in one or more of the specialized online support groups - that's where you'll find no one but FIV+ cat owners. These groups have been active for years and have collectively thousands of members - a huge, supportive audience for you.

Here are the ones I'm aware of:
Let us know what recommendations you get and how things 'roll out' for missy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edandjill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi E edandjill !

If I were in your shoes, I would be putting her story/your question to folks in one or more of the specialized online support groups - that's where you'll find no one but FIV+ cat owners. These groups have been active for years and have collectively thousands of members - a huge, supportive audience for you.

Here are the ones I'm aware of:
Let us know what recommendations you get and how things 'roll out' for missy.
Thanks. Did not think of looking for a dedicated FIV+ group.
I joined the groups and posted on one of the Facebook groups so far.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! You ARE quick!

Now, everyone's experiences with such groups are different. My own have been amazing as have been many others. There are also those who, for whatever reason, turn away.

Anyways, there must be people in there who have dealt with this sort of thing/dilemma.

And.....you've been around here a long time, so, make sure you keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edandjill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just talked to the vet a few hours ago and there was a misunderstanding. Vet originally diagnosed it as rodent ulser and treated it as such. Sent out a biopsy which came back negative. But the actual disease is not rodent ulcer it is feline sarcoid or fibropapilloma (fibropapilloma virus induced fibroblastic proliferation). My understanding it is a benign type of tumor. Only real treatment is cutting it out which we did but vet said we must not have gotten all of it. Not sure what we are going to do from here.