Rodent Ulcer Causes? /injection Sideeffects

stryami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few days ago my cat a had what seemed to be a rash on her chin. Later her lip swelled up. I went to the vet yesterday and he said it was a rodent ulcer. The day before the rash, i saw her playing with some bugs. I asked the vet if it could be caused by fleas and he said it's not likely. My cats not on flea treatment because she's an indoor cat, but decided to buy Revolution to get her started. The vet gave her a shot of depo medrol 20mg and 10ml of the Convenia shot yesterday. I did't really know the horror stories of Convenia untill today. My cat was a bit a hyper after her visit and she hasn't really ate that much. The good news is her swelling has gone down. Are there alternatives to Convenia and is it as bad as everyone has said on the internet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - If I understand it correctly, Clavamox is an alternative according to Dr Lisa Pierson's catinfo . org. She has a page on her website that talks about convenia, you can pull up the website and do a search.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many people use Convenia, and many don't. It's only an issue if your cat has sensitivities to it, and, of course, you won't know until it's too late :frown: The problem with it is, it stays in their system for much longer than most antibiotics...weeks longer. BUT, as with most drugs, the percentage of cats that are truly adversely effected is very low. We had one cat who was impossible to pill, so she got Convenia, several times over her lifetime, and never had any adverse effects. Would I do it again? You bet. We've also had cats on Clavamox that acted like they were dying from the side effects from the Clavamox. They had it in their records that they were never to get that particular antibiotic again. Just goes to show you never know.