Rodent Ulcer 2 Weeks Now

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After taking Candi to the Vet about a week ago she confirmed what I had already suspected from doing alot of research on the web. She gave her a Steroid Shot and an Antibiotic Shot. A few days later her Mouth was showing signs of improvement but not getting well. It has now been a week and she told me if it didn't get well, to bring her back they would sedate her and then inject a steroid into her lip itself. Not too crazy about her giving her even more steroids as she is already has Hyperthyroid and the last one had affected it by causing her to drink even more water than she does now.
I did some research beforehand but just recently started with a Holistic Approach. I had ordered the Colloidal silver 10 ppm and the Epic Pet Health Repair and picked up some L-Lysine from the Store. I ordered both the Colloidal Silver and Epic Pet Health from Amazon but due to who they were shipped from the shipping days were different. I will be getting the Epic Health Repair today but got the Colloidal Silver the other day. I just got the L-Lysine yesterday because I wasn't sure it was safe to give her the human form instead of the treats.
So my question is, if anyone can help me, I have noticed that her lip doesn't seem to be getting better and has gotten back as bad as it was when we first took her to the vet.
Has anyone used this trio of Holistic Medicine and how long does it take for it to get rid of the Rodent Ulcer? Also if anyone has used this, what were their results from it?
I also read on another thread that you can give up to 1000 mg of L-Lysine but I saw where you give 250 mg twice a day. Which is the best dosage for this?
Thanks for any advice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry your Candi is dealing with all this. Unfortunately I don't know anything about Rodent Ulcers, so can't comment on that at all, except to send my hopes that Candi starts to see some improvement and feels better soon. :heartshape:

I also don't know much about Holistic Medicine, but did want to post this TCS article on Alternative Treatments For Cats: How To Minimize The Risk in case there is anything in it that maybe helpful.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well...I've hesitated to jump in since our cat was just initially misdiagnosed as having rodent ulcers, and it turned out that his painful looking mouth sores are related to his frequent herpes flare-ups instead.

FWIW, in his case, the mouth sores usually take about 3 weeks to show significant improvement, and sometimes they can look a lot worse before they get better. But they do get better now that we and our vet have figured out what works for Buddy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Rubysmama I will check that link out. This is my first time dealing with it as well but hopefully we will not have to take her back to the vet as she doesn't like them that well.
Cheeser thanks and I will keep that in mind.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Rubysmama I will check that link out. This is my first time dealing with it as well but hopefully we will not have to take her back to the vet as she doesn't like them that well.
Cheeser thanks and I will keep that in mind.
Just wanted to clarify...we've been through lots and lots of these cycles with our cat over the past five years, and we have our vet's blessing to use certain alternative therapies in addition to traditional medicine. So we've learned which remedies help best for various stages of Buddy's mouth sores, as well as the underlying medical condition that causes them.

Since this is your first time dealing with this problem, I'd highly recommend that you take your kitty back to the vet if it doesn't look like she's getting any better. Sometimes Plan A isn't 100% effective, and the vet needs to go to Plan B, C, etc.

Wishing you and yours all the best, and hope your kitty is on the mend soon! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just called the vet concerned with Candi as we believe the L-Lysine may be causing her to have an increased thirst as this didn't happen until we added that to the Epic Pet Health Repair and the Silver Colloidal. We have an appt this afternoon will let everyone know what the doc says. I did notice another thread where a kitty mommie had increased thirst with the L-Lysine but with Candi having Hyperthyroid I wonder if it isn't affecting it. Will keep everyone update.

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back from the vet. We weren't a happy kitty. We got another Depo(Steroid shot) but also this time around she got an antibiotic shot. He said that it looked like it was healing just her one tooth seemed to look as it was irritating it but figured it would be best for her to get another Depo shot but also an antibiotic shot as well to help boost her immune system and to get it well. He looked up the L-Lysine and it is safe for Cats but in a study that they did there was 1 out of a 100 that did has excessive thirst due to it. He told us to keep an eye on her drinking but it should get back down to what she has been drinking in a few days. He also wants her to fast when she goes in for her 6 month recheck because her sugar was 282. He said they usually like it at or below 250. Being how high it was he believed alot of it was because of stress which is normal for a cat to be stressed when getting their labs done.
He also talked about if she gets these Rodent Ulcers frequently, it would be best to put her on Prednisone once a day.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back from the vet. We weren't a happy kitty. We got another Depo(Steroid shot) but also this time around she got an antibiotic shot. He said that it looked like it was healing just her one tooth seemed to look as it was irritating it but figured it would be best for her to get another Depo shot but also an antibiotic shot as well to help boost her immune system and to get it well. He looked up the L-Lysine and it is safe for Cats but in a study that they did there was 1 out of a 100 that did has excessive thirst due to it. He told us to keep an eye on her drinking but it should get back down to what she has been drinking in a few days. He also wants her to fast when she goes in for her 6 month recheck because her sugar was 282. He said they usually like it at or below 250. Being how high it was he believed alot of it was because of stress which is normal for a cat to be stressed when getting their labs done.
He also talked about if she gets these Rodent Ulcers frequently, it would be best to put her on Prednisone once a day.
Thanks for the update! Hope your kitty is on the road to recovery soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

If you're not too keen on the idea of having to give your cat steroids every day at some point, you might consider asking your vet about this article to see if it might be an appropriate option for your furbaby: Why I Love Zyrtec for Cats. Our cat is FIV+, and our vet doesn't want to have to put Buddy on steroids unless it's absolutely necessary since they'd probably further compromise his already compromised immune system. So generic Zyrtec and some OTC supplements (including L-lysine) have been a godsend for us.

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chesser thanks and we hope not but from what I read it would be a low dose. I will talk to him more when and if the need arises. I take Zyrtec myself due to chronic allergies. As for L-Lysine that is great that your kitty can take it. We had Candi on it and took her right back off of it because of the side effect that she had from it. Please do watch your baby because I was shocked when our vet looked it up and Kidney Failure was one of the side effects. Rare but when Candi dranked a bowl of water in a matter of 2 hours and her thyroid levels have been okay I knew that was the only thing that was new that we added within the past 24 hours that was new to her medicine.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chesser thanks and we hope not but from what I read it would be a low dose. I will talk to him more when and if the need arises. I take Zyrtec myself due to chronic allergies. As for L-Lysine that is great that your kitty can take it. We had Candi on it and took her right back off of it because of the side effect that she had from it. Please do watch your baby because I was shocked when our vet looked it up and Kidney Failure was one of the side effects. Rare but when Candi dranked a bowl of water in a matter of 2 hours and her thyroid levels have been okay I knew that was the only thing that was new that we added within the past 24 hours that was new to her medicine.
I'm sorry that the L-lysine didn't work out for your cat, but I understand all too well how you have to be careful about these sorts of things. Buddy has several ongoing health issues, and sometimes what helps to fix one problem just creates yet another one.

Since L-lysine isn't an option for your kitty, maybe you could ask your vet if lactoferrin would be okay for her in light of her other health problems. Some vets now feel that L-lysine isn't as helpful as once thought to strengthen a cat's immune system, and are now recommending lactoferrin instead. You might also ask your vet to see if it's okay to apply slippery elm bark syrup or Manuka honey to your kitty's mouth sores. They don't address the underlying problem that causes the mouth sores, but they do seem to help them heal a little faster. And that can be very helpful if your cat doesn't want to eat because the mouth sores are bothering her.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will do that. Her mouth does seem to be doing much much better so fingers crossed we hope this is the last of this. One thing we didn't think about that we did eliminate from her routine was putting her canned food and sardines into a plastic bowl. We recently started that not sure if it was around the same time this all started but we have went to using my corelle bowls instead and wrapping with aluminum foil. I know my husband used to keep her canned food in the can in the fridge and I told him no no no. LOL!!!
Our next thing that she has to have done when she has her lab recheck is to have her sugar checked for fasting. With it being a little high he wants to make sure it is as he suspects and just due to stress.

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just thought that I would update everyone. Candi is doing remarkably well for her Rodent Ulcer. It seems we have finally gotten ahead of it. The doc looked at it today and said that it is looking really good. On the downside we may have diabetes. Her sugar was 500 but when they tested her urine it had sugar in it this time so it wasn't just from Stress. We hope it is due only to the steroid shots being last week was her second one. If not we will go from there.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. Glad Candi is doing well with the rodent ulcer. Fingers crossed the high sugar was due to the steroid shots. :crossfingers: