Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for this? I have been buying it from the grocery store already prepared, but would like to know how to make it myself.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry no recipe but just had to say it's my second favorite hummus flavor after spinach which is my all time fave. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, shucks. I never had this until recently when it was served at a baby shower I went to at the church. I am buying it at the store, but want to know how to make it. I have found a few recipes and one of the ingredients is tahini. Does anyone know what that is and where to look in the store for it?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have a standard recipe for hummus that you could add red pepper to instead.

2 cans chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
½ head of garlic
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Pinch ground red pepper
¼ cup lemon juice
1 heaping tablespoon sesame tahini

Put all ingredients in blender or food processer and blend until smooth. Add water as needed.

Omit the garlic and add jarred roasted red pepper to taste.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tahini will probably be near the peanut butter in most stores, if not it may be in the "foreign food" section. It's just sesame seed butter, for lack of a better term. I once used unsweetened peanut butter to make hummus because I was out of tahini and that worked well too. Probably any unsweetened nut/seed butter would work.

I make hummus all the time. I haven't made roasted red pepper flavor though :/. I assume you just puree some roasted red peppers and add that to the hummus. I like the Cook's Illustrated recipe best, although I add less tahini (around 2 tablespoons) because I don't like it that much, lol. One major factor in getting good smooth hummus is to add the oil/tahini very slowly. This creates a smooth emulsion, whereas if you just dump the oil in it makes the emulsion break so you get grainy hummus. Ick.

Here's their regular hummus recipe: http://www.food.com/amp/recipe/cooks-illustrated-restaurant-style-hummus-380146

This appears to be the same recipe, but adding 1/4 cup of jarred roasted red peppers to the chickpeas at the beginning: http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2011/01/roasted-red-pepper-hummus/

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I think I have enough information now to try some.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Tahini will probably be near the peanut butter in most stores, if not it may be in the "foreign food" section. It's just sesame seed butter, for lack of a better term. I once used unsweetened peanut butter to make hummus because I was out of tahini and that worked well too. Probably any unsweetened nut/seed butter would work.

I make hummus all the time. I haven't made roasted red pepper flavor though :/. I assume you just puree some roasted red peppers and add that to the hummus. I like the Cook's Illustrated recipe best, although I add less tahini (around 2 tablespoons) because I don't like it that much, lol. One major factor in getting good smooth hummus is to add the oil/tahini very slowly. This creates a smooth emulsion, whereas if you just dump the oil in it makes the emulsion break so you get grainy hummus. Ick.

Here's their regular hummus recipe: http://www.food.com/amp/recipe/cooks-illustrated-restaurant-style-hummus-380146

This appears to be the same recipe, but adding 1/4 cup of jarred roasted red peppers to the chickpeas at the beginning: http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2011/01/roasted-red-pepper-hummus/
I love hummus.  I always buy it at the store, though, instead of making it myself.  Thanks for posting this recipe of the bell pepper hummus.  I think I have all those ingredients here at home, think I'll try making some today!  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You won't regret it. Nothing beats homemade hummus. And you can tweak the ingredients to your liking---maybe you like more or less lemon, or more or less garlic. I like more garlic, yum! :D

clmgordon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to be a chef and I'll tell you that with hummus i never used measurements. It's a taste testing kind of thing. I brought homemade red pepper and garlic hummus to every holiday gathering this year and EVERYONE went crazy over it. Definitely update and let us know how it goes!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
For the record, hummus is never made with roasted peppers in the Middle East. I'm from Israel and the first time we visited the US we were shocked to see hummus with peppers and even with avocado! That's blasphemy over here 

The same goes for making hummus from canned chickpeas. I make hummus occasionally and use dry chickpeas. I leave them in water for the night and then cook them for about 45 minutes to a minute in a pressure cooker the following day. I buy them in 1kg packets (about 2lbs) which is a lot of cooked chickpeas. I use some for hummus (adding some of the cooking water, tahini, lemon juice, salt and pepper - nothing more) and freeze the rest for future use. They're great in vegetable soup too, those cooked chickpeas. I just throw a cup's worth of frozen cooked ones into the pot.

Oh, and a word of caution. Homemade hummus is delicious and healthy but it also spoils really quick. We only keep it for 1-2 days (refrigerated of course). 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Americans are pretty reliable when it comes to Americanizing foods from other parts of the world.  We also tend to  find the easiest quickest way of doing things.  I have never been a big lover of beans.  I will eat them when I am in one of my vegetarian phases but that is more out of what I feel is necessity.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

For the record, hummus is never made with roasted peppers in the Middle East. I'm from Israel and the first time we visited the US we were shocked to see hummus with peppers and even with avocado! That's blasphemy over here 
Oh, how funny.  

I cook lentils and black beans from scratch, but I don't use garbanzos as much.  I usually buy those canned as I need them.  

Turns out I didn't have tahini--I'm getting some when I go out today so I can try the recipe this afternoon.  I'll report back with results.  

Have you tried it yet, @blueyedgirl5946  ?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
betsygee betsygee No, not yet. Now I am wondering whether or not to do it. I need it to keep more than a couple of days.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a standard recipe for hummus that you could add red pepper to instead.

2 cans chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
½ head of garlic
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Pinch ground red pepper
¼ cup lemon juice
1 heaping tablespoon sesame tahini

Put all ingredients in blender or food processer and blend until smooth. Add water as needed.

Omit the garlic and add jarred roasted red pepper to taste.
My recipe is very similar to yours except I roast the garlic, add a dash of sesame oil and I don't use pepper. I also remove the skins from the chickpeas. I find that it comes out smoother this way. I'd imagine that roasted red peppers could easily be added but I would not leave out the garlic. I also use a whole head of garlic in mine since it's roasted.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to remove the skins but because the Cook's Illustrated recipe comes out so smooth without doing it, I don't bother anymore. It's annoying, lol.

I've never had hummus spoil on me :dk:. Maybe it's made differently there. There's nothing in it that should spoil quickly, if kept refrigerated. I'm pretty sure I've eaten it up to a couple weeks after I made it, now that's probably too long but it never made me sick anyway.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am going to bite the bullet and buy the ingredients in AbbysMom AbbysMom recipe when I go to the store. I just want to try it. We will eat fast. :clap: