Rising Pet Food Costs

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yikes!!!

I know the cost of everything has gone up but I really think my Chewy order has gotten out of hand. I’m spending between 1.50-1.75 a can for Merrick, Wellness, and 60 cents a can or so for Fancy Feast.

Aslan eats 4x a day.

I may have to start an Only Fans ya’ll LOL :flail:

How are you all managing with inflation?

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s bad. I can’t believe how much it has gone up. I’m doing Fancy Feast, Friskies, Tiny Tiger, Sheba, and Heart to Tail (Aldi brand). I cut out the more expensive foods. They also eat some dry food. Interestingly the more expensive the wet food, the less they liked it, so they are very happy campers now.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What I don’t understand is it seems like cat food is more scarce then people food. I only have cats, no dogs so I don’t pay attention when I go down the pet aisle how the dog food situation is. In the beginning I heard it was because of the medal cans but even the bags of dry cat food is getting hard to find. (at least the kind my cats will eat). My cats will only eat Friskies or FF…I’ve paid .99 cents for a 3 oz can of FF. Getting off the cat food for a minute, yesterday I saw a 30 oz jar of Hellmann’s mayonnaise for $5.99…the price of everything is getting out of hand for sure..

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I havent noticed the price of the cat foods I buy go up, BUT the quality has certainly taken a nose dive. I've had some cans of food be full of fatty cartilage like chunks, and hair. And I have had a few that were almost just water and no meat.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So true, livismom1…I’ve noticed a lot of the chicken Friskies look terrible. There’s big hunks of meat not cut up, my cats spit them out. And a lot of the cans have more gravy than meat and the cats mostly just lick up the gravy. It’s pathetic.
I’ve tried to get them to eat a better quality of food but they’re hooked on Friskies or FF
But a lot of our food companies are doing the same. The price goes up and you get poorer Quality and less quantity. While they’re still making their millions in profits!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
And a lot of the cans have more gravy than meat and the cats mostly just lick up the gravy. It’s pathetic.
I have tried many different types of canned food and just when I thought I found the right one our picky eater refused it. A friend had given me some of her Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Chicken and our guy scarfed it down so I bought several cases. He won't eat it anymore so I wonder if the quality has changed also. It started out costing 70 cents p/can but is up to 78 cents now. You get a discount if you buy a case. I've been trying other brands again and had luck with BFF by Weruva but it costs $1.69 p/can. Several members gave good reviews for Rawz so I bough that also but only one can to try since it cost $2.69 p/can. :eek: He liked it so I guess he has gourmet taste and I'll buy it but only to rotate with other foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aslan has pretty much gone off FF Classic Pate, which was the most budget friendly item in the rotation. Wellness, which he still eats, has gotten ridiculous.

I really hope the prices don’t rise any further so we can all keep our babies well fed.