Ringworm

aweston39

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Kitty is suspected of having ringworm now.

She has a patch if missing hair that is behind her ear about one inch long and 1/2 inch wide.

The vet took a culture and used the lamp.

He won't know for sure for several weeks but wants her to start on medication.

The shelter I rescued her from 2 weeks ago is sending me medication for her.

It is called Fluconizole.

She also told me to use Lotrimin Ultra.

Does anyone have experience with either of these two medications and its effect on ringworm?

Since Kitty has had the run of the house for the last 2 weeks, it doesn't make alot of sense to isolate her now.

There are no children or other pets in our home.

Do you think it will be OK, if we just wash our hands a lot and look for signs of it on us?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

aweston39

sue harrison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi...I had RW (or so the vet thought) in a little rescued dsh a few years ago. It then got in a new batch of Himalayan kittens that were born in the same bedroom that this kitten was kept in. I treated both sets of kittens  with Nystatin cream( topical), that I bought over the counter at the drug store. I had the expensive stuff (oral) from the vet but did not like that as it had bad side effects, so did not use it. I also scrubbed and wiped down the lower walls of that room with javex (bleach) and water....something I did not do between those first litters. The cream cleared it right up in all the kittens and the javex got the ringworm existing in the room. (Don't treat with javex while kits are around though) I do use it to scrub but it is too strong for babies.

I had another rescue mom that had babies in that room after....noone got Ringworm...so it definitely was killed by the javex. None of us humans nor mom cat got ringworm either.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My Kitty is suspected of having ringworm now.

She has a patch if missing hair that is behind her ear about one inch long and 1/2 inch wide.

The vet took a culture and used the lamp.

He won't know for sure for several weeks but wants her to start on medication.

The shelter I rescued her from 2 weeks ago is sending me medication for her.

It is called Fluconizole.

She also told me to use Lotrimin Ultra.

Does anyone have experience with either of these two medications and its effect on ringworm?

Since Kitty has had the run of the house for the last 2 weeks, it doesn't make alot of sense to isolate her now.

There are no children or other pets in our home.

Do you think it will be OK, if we just wash our hands a lot and look for signs of it on us?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

aweston39
I've battled with Ringworm, and it was a nightmare! My vet didn't want to prescribe me Fluconizole as she said it was really powerful. She did say use the Lortrimin Ultra and it did help.

Also, Colloidal Silver helped greatly too, and it was suggested to me here! It probably helped better than the lotion. It's probably best to order online since I couldn't find any in stores.

Vaccuum a lot, often. Wipe down counters. Wash bedding often, as well as places where the cats sleep. There's fungal spray that I used (forgot what it's called) on areas that I can't wash easily. it'll take time!

aweston39

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see improvement with only one application of the lotrimin ultra.

I did not get the pills yet but they should be here tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice.

I really appreciate it.

We will be vacuuming tonight.

aweston39

shari flanders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had 6 kittens with ringworm, my vet at the time told me about a double dose of Program 6 month injectable for Ringworm within 1 1/2 weeks the kittens were all clear. It sure beat giving semi feral kittens baths every other day :-)

I have 5 kittens now with ringworm but my currant vet never heard of this :-( it has now been 2 1/2 weeks of topical ointments and baths and they still have it!!

mcha8056

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi is Colloidal Silver a tablet or ointment? And how do you use it? I have a stray mumma cat and her kittens which i believe have ringworm. They don't let me anywhere near them to take them to the shelter, so I'd like to help treat them myself until I can gain their trust. So I want to use something that I can buy online or over the counter to put in their food, as I obviously can't take them to the vet. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi is Colloidal Silver a tablet or ointment? And how do you use it? I have a stray mumma cat and her kittens which i believe have ringworm. They don't let me anywhere near them to take them to the shelter, so I'd like to help treat them myself until I can gain their trust. So I want to use something that I can buy online or over the counter to put in their food, as I obviously can't take them to the vet. 
The latest research on colloidal silver shows it to have no measurable effect at all, though it is still cited as a cure-all for many conditions. so I would think twice before spending money on it. Ringworm usually requires a topical treatment, often combined with an oral medicine, so it is going to be difficult if you can't handle the cats. I wish I could suggest something - my cats had it a few years ago and we needed both forms of treatment before htey got better. The good news is that it will eventually go away of its own accord, but in the meantime of course, it can infect others, cats and humans.

kvon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have cats ,brought in 6 kittens to foster, had one of my own become ill and develop ringwormI'm am now dipping this cat in lime sulfur. I have a dog and rabbit . The kittens went to get spayed and tested positive for ringworm,no lesions these kittens were in isolation for about a month prior to all this is moved them into my house animal room and they would escape on occasion, how much cleaning needs done the regular house cat had free range prior to discovery