Ringworm

ButterRingworm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have a kitten that was diagnosed with ringworm shortly after I found him. He has now had 2 negative cultures and does not have anymore lesions on him but he is still itchy. His ringworm was severe with open wounds/scabs. I have 2 questions:
1. Do cat still itch even after ringworm has be eradicated during the skin healing process?
2. How long does it take for hair to grow back after it was thinned out during his ringworm out break?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you ask your Vet why he is still scratching after testing negative? I'm guessing it was the Vet who tested him, right? To me, this doesn't sound right, unless there is still something going on, but could he have fleas or another irritant be bothering him?

Fur takes quite some time to grow back. A couple of months if it's shaved to fully grow back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ButterRingworm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No fleas. I asked about it when the vet tech first came in before the doc came in and she mentioned that his skin was healing and it would be itchy. I guess it’s much like us. If we have a scab it is very itchy when healing. At least I hope that’s what’s going on! I can’t deal with another outbreak!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ButterRingworm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I did get it back of neck. Arms. That was the first time. Then about 3 weeks ago I was cleaning my bedroom and went to dust the fan blades and a whole snowfall of dust came raining down in me. I didn’t realize that I had not cleaned the blades before that time. Oh NOOOO I thought! I immediately cleaned the blades with Rescue and then took a shower and washed my hair but I still got it again much worse! On my face, around my ears, back of neck, and whole lower half of back. It’s been miserable. I’m still applying antifungal cream and it’s slowly getting better. I wear a long sleeve button down shirt everyday buttoned all the way up with the collar up over a tee shirt and long pants so that I don’t reinfect Butter because I’m praying I don’t have to go thru this HELL again with him. I’m still disinfecting EVERYTHING everyday and using Banixx on him. I may do one more Lime Sulfur on him but that is just so hard on him. This is a nightmare as I know you know.

kaytekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
😳 i’m terrified of ringworm. One of my foster cats has it. Reading this I just remembered they were in my bedroom several hours during the first 2 days. New spore fear unlocked because my house cats are in there now.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
😳 i’m terrified of ringworm. One of my foster cats has it. Reading this I just remembered they were in my bedroom several hours during the first 2 days. New spore fear unlocked because my house cats are in there now.
Well, when the fosters were in there, did you know they had ringworm? If so, then did you thoroughly clean your bedroom after moving them? If not, then it may be a wait and see thing. Have YOU gotten it? There are a lot of variables here.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: