Ringworm

JulieBeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband, 4 year old daughter, and I adopted 2 kittens from the SPCA at the beginning of the summer. Last Friday, I took both kittens to the SPCA clinic for vaccinations and mentioned that I noticed some fur missing from Chloe's (one of the kittens) ear. The vet diagnosed her with ringworm (after using a black light) and told me to use some anti-fungal cream. She didn't tell me to quarantine the kitten or to do anything else, but from what I've read since then, ringworm can be a real disaster! Should I be quarantining Chloe? How about Reese, the other kitten? I'm really worried about all of us getting it! I believe that Chloe has a compromised immune system-- she became very ill when we first adopted her, and she has no actual sores or lesions, but I'm still concerned.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Ringworm can be transmitted from one cat to another through direct or indirect (via shared bedding, water bowls, toys, etc.) contact, so unless you quarantine Chloe, Reese could get ringworm as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would think anyone in your household could get the ringworm, so am surprised your Vet didn't give your more instructions, and specifically give you instructions AND medications (other than to apply an anti-fungal cream) for BOTH kittens.

Here is an article on Ringworm which you may find helpful: Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight

If I were you, I'd call the Vet and ask why no additional treatment was recommended, and unless they have a really good response, I'd look for a different Vet. (just my humble opinion)

Ragdollbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't dealt with ringworm in cats, but my oldest son got it from gymnastics. Thankfully, for kids with normal immune systems, it's really not that big of a deal. You just put the antifungal cream on whatever spots that develop, and after a few weeks the spots start to fade and eventually disappear. No one else in our family got it, and we were not taking any special precautions or doing any extra cleaning.

I have read that it's harder to get rid of in cats, but I just wanted to reassure you that if you or your daughter does catch ringworm, it won't be the end of the world.

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the vet take a culture and send it to the lab?? Sometimes the lights can be a false positive. It's always good to act as though it is ringworm though and treat while you wait for the lab results to come back. Treat the cat, and environment.