Ringworm Vaccine

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure if ya'll are aware, but, you're not suppose to shave a cat with ringworm. The idea behind this is that the spores will spread faster without the coat to keep them confined.

Ken

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never heard of NOT shaving for THAT reason. The spores attach to the hair and travel down to the cat within 48 hours. The hair provides an ideal hiding place and adds to the difficulty in ridding the cat of this problem. I feel shaving should be a last resort as you are looking at a year or more for the coat to grow back and with a show cat that is an awful long time!
The vaccine only keeps the virus from spreading deeper into the skin and it's effectiveness is in months, not years. As part of a program it may help but as the sole means of combating ringworm it is a waste of money. Ringworm spores can survive for up to a year waiting for the right environment. If you are that concerned about the possibility of introducing this plague into your cattery I suggest the following:
1) Isolate the cat from all the others and use a Fungassy test on the cat. If you have a negative response after 2 or three tests you should be safe. If not, then proceed as follows:
2) After ANY contact with this cat spray yourself with A-33 and then bathe in an anti-fungal bath using a recommended additive or add a bleach solution to your bath. Add A-33 packet to the laundry load of the clothes you wore. (Do this until you get a negative test)
3)Bathe the cat weekly for 3-4 weeks using a shampoo recommended for ringworm (dipping once or twice during this period with a Lyme Dip wouldn't hurt either)
4) Sterilize EVERYTHING in contact with this cat including the room it is contained in. Remember, the spores are airborne and you can spread them as easily as your pets!
5) Treat outbreaks on the cat with A-33 or a prescription blend of Nizoral (have your vet write a prescription and fill it at your pharmacy)
I have more info on this topic at the LaPerm site if you need or want it. This is a nasty PIA and I hope you never experience it.

Pete

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well then here's a site, among others, that you can visit. It will explain it better than I. This is, of course one site of many vet sites that say about the same thing.

Ringworm treatment

I probably should have said that clipping a cat is okay, but not shaving.

Ken

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Imagyne
Well then here's a site, among others, that you can visit. It will explain it better than I. This is, of course one site of many vet sites that say about the same thing.

Ringworm treatment

I probably should have said that clipping a cat is okay, but not shaving.

Ken
Thanks for the site, Ken. I should have said clipping as well but we both knew what each other meant. I don't know if you have ever dealt with ringworm and I hope you never do. We got it on 2 Norwegian Forest cats we bought and it was a real battle to eradicate; took us a year!!! We didn't clip which probably added a considerable amount of treatment time but we used everything in the arsenal. The vaccine is a waste in my opinion; Program will do the same thing and works on fleas which the vaccine doesn't. We managed to keep it out of the house and none of our LaPerms got it and neither did the NFC's we already had. Thank God we always quarantine new arrivals as getting RW in the house would have been a disaster! We have a small house in back which is air conditioned and heated with running water and a play area where all new arrivals go for their quarantine period. It is also where the show cats go after a show for their quarantine period but with the RW we curtailed ANY showing until it was cured. Needless to say it put the brakes on our breeding program as well. I'm off on a tangent, sorry.

Pete

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a bad case of it when we adopted acouple of little ones about 2 years ago. They were suppose to have been tested negative for 3 weeks when recieved them, unfortunatly, it came back real bad about day later..... Worst thing we have ever gone through.

Ken

askahomeopath

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

To eliminate Ringworm spores in cages, litter pans, carriers, trailers, cars, and your home, including your clothing, please go to this company and purchase the liquid they sell for same.
The link is at the end of this message.
The cure I use for ringworm in my Cats if they get it, Humans, any animal I own, (and myself if I get it from them) is:
Any Woman's One application yeast infection medication mixed with Neosporin.
Find a little jar.
Squeeze out all of the woman's yeast medication onto a saucer. Squeeze a quantity of Neosporin beside it. Mix together using a spoon or knife.
Put into the jar.
Take out the amount you are going to use from the jar with a clean knife, and close the jar. Do not put your fingers into the jar. This will contaminate the fresh salve.
Rub into ALL the ringworm places, every single one, even tiny ones, and into their claws, if cats or dogs.
Put the cats into sprayed and dried carriers, or the other kinds of animals in uncontaminated quarters, then spray their stalls, or cages and cat litter pans, top and bottom.
Let dry, then put the animals back into their treated quarters. or the cats/kits back into the cages.
Purchase some Vitamin C powder from the Health Food Store.
For a cat or kitten: Put 1/4 tsp into a can of cat food. Give a can to each adult cat.
One can to be shared by all the kits.
For a goat, I administer 10,000mgs.
For a Horse, dosage is the same
Dog, the same as a cat.
Human, I take 10,000mg divided, then 4,000mgs per day divided, preferably Ester C (non acidic)

Good Luck!!!
Alva
http://www.revivalanimal.com/

Dr.Alva Irish is a Board Certified Naturopath / Homeopath,CEO and Research Scientist for the Center For Mankind Foundation (CFOM)
You are cordially invited to Visit her Websites!
http://www.askahomeopath.net - On line Holistic Health Service
http://www.casatek.com/cfom - Center For Mankind Foundation
http://irishrex.20m.com - Irish Cornish Rex Cats & Kittens
http://www.blkfoot.com/TheCaprineCabin/as1.htm - Animal Hair Mineral Analysis site
Integris Products Distributor - Immunotec Products Distributor - hGHs Distributor
http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/aftrack.asp?afid=15735 - Get Vitamins for $1.98 or FREE
http://hop.clickbank.net/?homeopath/gentltouch - A book on Therapeutic Gentle Touch for Humans and Animals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alva, that sounds like an interesting treatment.

I just have to find someone who would go into the pharmacy and order 10 vials of one treatment yeast infection products!!!!

Alva, why do you mix it with Neosporin?

I do know some people who have used Micitan (sp?) Athlete's foot spray on ringworm. I would worry about the toxicity on cats though.

helen drye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten we got from our vet.we keep our cat away from him for a week.Them he has ring worm.The vet is treating for free.He has fluconazole one a day.micazole for spots.Shampoo once a week.Now I see spots on our other cat.We are going to the vet tomorrow.He looks awful and I can even thank what I will do with my four year old.What should I ask her.

helen drye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten we got from our vet.we keep our cat away from him for a week.Them he has ring worm.The vet is treating for free.He has fluconazole one a day.micazole for spots.Shampoo once a week.Now I see spots on our other cat.We are going to the vet tomorrow.He looks awful and I can even thank what I will do with my four year old.What should I ask her.

helen drye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We took both cat back to the vet.Our four year old did not have ring worms.Our new kitten is much better.She uses the light and he has no glowing in some spots and very little in the first ear.It seems they get to looking bad but that is the sign they are healing.So take your cats to the vet.They have found program does not work for ring worms.You need to bath you other cats with the shampoo but I can't tell you the name because I can't read her writing.This bath makes sure your other cats don't get it.