Ringworm outbreak, need reassurance...

Bikersnez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I am so happy to have found this site, hoping to get some feedback and advice from real people, rather than Google articles that all repeat the same.
Here's my long story. My husband and I recently bought a beautiful Siberian kitten from, as it turns out, an unreputable breeder. We already had two cats, and were trying to get a perfect playmate for one of them, Malibu. We had always adopted cats from shelters before, but this time we wanted to get a Siberian because we suspect that's what Malibu is, and he is the most unique, playful and lovable cat we have ever had. We wanted to make sure the new kitten was free of disease before we introduced him to the other two, so prior to bringing him home we took him to a vet. The vet found ear infection, but cleared him otherwise. We kept the kitten in a separate room until we took him to another vet to recheck his ears, and then slowly and stressfully we started socializing him. We had noticed lesions on his ears when we got him, but since two vets looked at his ears and weren't concerned, we ignored them. Until we got ringworm! Sure enough that's what his lesions were. Took him back to the vet, about 4 weeks ago, and she gave us oral Terbinafine and Climbazole/Clorhexidine shampoo to bathe him every other day. She also instructed us to put Lotrimine on his ears twice a day, and to isolate him from other cats and pretty much burn our house and build a new one in order to get rid of the spores. The kitten had finally started playing with Malibu, and keeping him in the closed room day and night was not something we were wling to do. We didn't want him to become a neurotic cat, and listening to a kitten cry behind the door is just unacceptable to me. Besides, the other cats had already been exposed to the spores, and after a week or so both got ringworm symptoms too. 😱 So, yes, we all got it. My dermatologist was utterly unimpressed and advised us to go on with our lives, rather than go crazy trying to eradicate the spores, which she said was impossible anyway. However, I chose to instead drive myself completely crazy, incessantly vacuuming, cleaning, laundering, Swiffering the whole house and outdoor patio, because cats are allowed to hang out in the garden. Every moment that I don't clean, I spend researching everything I can find on ringworm on the internet. I haven't been able to sleep at all since the whole circus started. I have concerns about oral antifungal medication because of liver toxicity. I fear I will end up killing my cats to get rid of a superficial skin infection. All the research on dosage, effectiveness and safety of Terbinafine in cats was done on a very small sample, nine cats, 30 cats, never hundreds. The kitten lost his appetite and rambunctiousness pretty much immediately after starting the treatment. Then after two weeks he started having diarrhea, so I took him off the medicine. I read a study that shows that the amount of Terbinafine concentrated in the skin and hair remains at inhibitive levels for more than five weeks after a two week course of medication, so I am hoping he is still protected. Malibu is showing similar side expects, and he is incredibly stressed out. He got it the worst, and he's been on Terbinafine compounded liquid for 8 days now, after trying just baths and topical Terbinafine for a week with nothing but worsening and spreading of infection to both of his ears. The third cat, Luna, we can't medicate at all, so we have to rely on her own immunity to clear the infection. The kitten was declared free of ringworm by the vet, based on Wood's lamp exam. However, we purchased a good Wood's lamp and when we examine Malibu under it, only a couple of dots on his face glow, but his ears which have been peeling and dropping clumps of hair, don't glow at all. So I am not sure we can rely on it.
Wow, this IS a thorough report, sorry about that. Here are my questions:
Does it even make sense to treat, when all three cats have it, and one of them can't be medicated? Research shows that, unlike with therapy, when cats clear the infection naturally they actually gain the immunity to subsequent infections.
Are they going to keep getting ringworm back and forth from one another indefinitely?
Has anyone had any success without oral therapy, and with shampoos instead of Lyme sulphur?
Has anyone just let the cats clear ringworm naturally, while only meticulously cleaning the environment?
If you read all this, thank you so much! If you have any advice, it would be much appreciated. I am going crazy here.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I will admit that I've never had to treat a cat for ringworm, so do not have any first hand experience with it. I have, however, read quite a few threads on it here, and must say that I don't recall EVER reading that a cat has cleared ringworm with no intervention. And I've seen some horrific cases of it (in threads here)

It seems to me that most people get the best results from using the Lyme Sulpher Dips, along with oral and topical mediction. That along with cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Have you by chance seen this article? How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] – TheCatSite Articles

Just so you know, there are at least FOUR oral meds for ringworm, so if one causes wide effects, I would ask the Vet for a different one.
Personally, I feel it's important to treat Luna. Maybe you can get her meds compounded into some form that you can hide in her food? I get that giving her a bath every other day might be difficult, and dipping her might be even harder, but could you have someone come in and do it. Cats are usually terrified of strangers and much more cooperative for them. Or could you take her to a groomer to do it? Of course, they might not want to be exposed to ringworm either, but might be able to take the correct precautions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bikersnez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your replies! I have read everything I could find on the internet, including the so called scholarly articles. It is a fact that most cats get over ringworm on their own in the matter of few weeks to few months, or a year, depending on what source you want to believe. 😂 The reason for treating it with medication is to speed up the process so they don't infect other pets or people. Well, in our case that has already happened!
I wish we could treat Luna but these days she is mostly an outdoor cat. She only comes through the house to get her food and petting. She is both a wild beast and an affectionate cat, depending on her mood. We took her to the vet, and the vet didn't see any ringworm on her, but a few days ago I felt little bumps on her ears. We tried to sneak the medication in her food, with 0 success. Tried to clean the ears with antifungal towelettes, she wouldn't have anything to do with that either. Giving her a bath would be a bood bath, so we don't even entertain that idea. We are wondering if she might get over it the quickest, since she is not exposed to constant stress of being chased around and medicated. Stress is one of the major factors in ringworm infection. Studies show cortisol inhibits the production of one of the important immune responses to fungal infection. We also hope that she won't reinfect the kitten and Malibu, because she is always outside. But then again, she did get it from the kitten although she never had any direct contact with him.
I clean non stop, I removed all the rugs from the house, washed everything and keep washing daily all the bedding and sheets that cover the furniture cats lay on. I even vacuum outdoors and keep as much stuff in the sun as possible. We are in Southern California, and so far the sun has been cooperative! 🤞 We have spent $$$$ on vets, medications, cleaning supplies, new toys and scrachers, insane gas&electric and water bills, so paying for lime sulphur baths is not an issue. However no one here offers that service. Also, Malibu's lesions are right around his eyes, and sounds like a dip wouldn't be a great option for the face... So we bath him twice a week with antifungal shampoo too.
Thanks again for your input! It's much appreciated!

Bikersnez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

BlueStar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there! I’m in the same boat. Two new kittens have had ringworm since October! The first course of Itrafungol didn’t work so they’re on another course of it. It’s for six weeks, one week on one week off. I’ve also been bathing with Malaseb now. They don’t have any lesions; all bald spots have regrown hair. It’s just a few glowing strands on their tails really. I don’t think I’ve gotten it yet, I’ve been using anti-dandruff shampoo and tea tree oil all over my body lol.

Bikersnez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there! I’m in the same boat. Two new kittens have had ringworm since October! The first course of Itrafungol didn’t work so they’re on another course of it. It’s for six weeks, one week on one week off. I’ve also been bathing with Malaseb now. They don’t have any lesions; all bald spots have regrown hair. It’s just a few glowing strands on their tails really. I don’t think I’ve gotten it yet, I’ve been using anti-dandruff shampoo and tea tree oil all over my body lol.
Hi there, BlueStar!
Sorry to hear you are dealing with ringworm too. Sounds like your kittens are almost there. Good luck!
We had our kitten on Terbinafine for about two weeks only. When we had the vet recheck him a week after we stopped the oral therapy, he was clear. The vet told us to have him on Terbinafine week on, week off until the other cats clear the infection. However, as soon as we give him the pill (1/4), he turns into a completely different cat: slows down, sleeps a lot, eats waaay less, doesn't play much. So, we decided against it. I have read that the residual concentration in skin and hair after 2 weeks of therapy remains effective for 5,5 weeks, so that's what we are now relying on. Have you had any side effects like that with your kittens?
Our Malibu, 4,5 years old, also doesn't take Terbinafine well. I have been absolutely freaking out over the possible liver toxicity, and decided it is simply too much stress for me. Malibu is so stressed out from our constant ambushing him and tricking him to grab him and medicate, that in my opinion there is no way he is going to get better. So, we stopped oral medication and now topical as well. The plan is to leave him alone until he goes back to being a happy cat again, and give him a chance to clear the infection on his own. Most articles I read say that should happen within three or four months. But we'll see how it goes. We are seeing a different vet on Monday, although I am 100% sure that he will criticize our decision to not treat, and advise to continue the oral therapy. But, my fear of killing my cats in order to treat the superficial skin infection makes me pretty determined to just keep on cleaning for months, wait, hope, and get some sleep! I will post updates on how it goes with this novel approach! 😂

jennytegan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there

Just want to say your post resonated with me as I'm currently going through a ringworm infection with a Siberian kitten and feel exactly how you feel with the no sleeping, constant tidying, still wanting to bond with the kitten etc.. so thank you for posting such an honest account!

Has everything gotten better since your post?

And when you were washing your siberian, did you find the shampoo worked well as it got to their undercoat? As the issue I'm currently having is that I feel the lime sulphur dip is only soaking my siberian's topcoat and not getting to the undercoat and skin, so not stopping the spread.

Thank you once again, hope all is well!

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my Siberian was 5-6 months old she had ringworm. She passed it on to my senior Maine Coon and my Norwegian Forest cat. The senior cat had it the worst....huge bald spots. The vet recommended dips so we dipped her and the senior cat but it didn't work and seriously stressed the senior cat out. I went to a different vet who prescribed Itraconazole (oral medication) and it worked. All three cats got the medication. I also have a short-haired cat but he never got it. I did though and found that athletes foot cream clears it right up...but don't use it on the cats!

Bikersnez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there

Just want to say your post resonated with me as I'm currently going through a ringworm infection with a Siberian kitten and feel exactly how you feel with the no sleeping, constant tidying, still wanting to bond with the kitten etc.. so thank you for posting such an honest account!

Has everything gotten better since your post?

And when you were washing your siberian, did you find the shampoo worked well as it got to their undercoat? As the issue I'm currently having is that I feel the lime sulphur dip is only soaking my siberian's topcoat and not getting to the undercoat and skin, so not stopping the spread.

Thank you once again, hope all is well!
Hi Jenny,
I will post a detailed update tomorrow. Just wanted to respond to your question now, We never tried the sulphur dip so I don't have any experience with it. However, the anti-fungal shampoo worked fine: we would apply it to the thoroughly wet kitten and then kept him wrapped in a warm towell for 10 minutes before rinsing. I wonder if you could try to get your kitten thoroughly wet before dipping... The Siberian fur is water repellant, so I can see how you may have a problem with the dip. Our little guy loves playing in the water, under the sprinklers and under the spray bottle when we, unsuccessfully, try to keep him off the kitchen counters!
Try to relax, try to get some sleep, try to keep the kitten happy. It will all be behind you soon.
More tomorrow!
Best!
Snezana

Bikersnez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Jenny and tnl!
Thanks for sharing your experiences! I was planning on posting an update here one of these days, so here it is.
Let me start with stating that I am convinced I did the right thing stopping the madness of medicating/torturing my cats and getting my sanity, and sleep, back! I now have two happy, playful and relaxed cats (Malibu and Attila the Fun- Siberian kitten) and Luna, who can't stand the boys, so she’s still pretty stressed out, and always outside. The boys haven't had any visible lesions for a couple of months and no bold spots, and last we checked them under the Woods lamp didn’t glow at all. Luna has small bold spots on her ears, and lately seems to have developed some baldness around her nose. However, here's the funny thing, when we had taken Luna to the vet, the vet checked her under the lamp and said she was ringworm free. But then she developed moth eaten spots on her ears that she still has three months later, and we assumed it was ringworm. It just seemed like it would have been too much of a coincidence that she developed some random skin condition right at the time when the other two had ringworm. Then, about two weeks ago, I ordered online the Fungassay kit for doing at home ringworm culture. I did this to see if I can stop cleaning so much, because I still (if you can believe this) vacuum the entire house EVERY SINGLE DAY, as well as every cushion or armchair that the cats sleep on, and change the top sheet on our bed and on other furniture they lay on regularly. We also still live with bare floors, all the rugs are rolled up and stored in the garage. Malibu and Attila sleep in bed with us every night, so our attitude is very relaxed, but I want to make sure that if there are any spores, I eliminate as many of them as possible, just in case. So, I collected the "specimens" brushing the areas where the boys have had lesions before (as well as Luna's ears) with new toothbrushes, and put the hairs in the vials with ringworm medium. Lo and behold, 8 days later, I grew a little ringworm in Attila's vial, and then in Malibu’s, but nothing yet in Luna's!!! It’s been 13 days now, and Luna’s vial still only grew some saprophytic fungus, but no dermatophytes! I have ordered more vials, and will repeat the test this week and see what happens. They say that dermatophyte growth should appear within 14 days, but I have seen some information that it is wise to let the sample incubate for up to 28 days. Naturally, none of this is 100% conclusive: the toothbrushes may have picked up a spore or two that the boys got from the environment. So, I will just keep growing their cultures periodically, and continue to assume that they are fine. My husband and I both got infected in November when this first started and a cream quickly took care of our lesions. We haven’t had any since. So, my conclusion is that either the cats don’t have it any more, or my cleaning practices are sufficient to keep the spores under control.
The more I think about everything, the more I realize how crazy the internet information can make you. I remember reading somewhere that you should not take your cell phone into the room where you isolated the infected cat, because you will then carry the spores on the phone(!) But we are surrounded by all kinds of spores and pathogens in nature and our home environments. I would think it takes more than a few spores to cause an infection. So I am trying to follow common sense rather than internet. Most of the studies were done in and for animal shelters, and that is quite a different situation than our home with three cats.
Bottom line, try to enjoy your kitten, clean as best as you can without being obsessive, and keep reminding yourself that ringworm is not deadly, and it will eventually go away.
I wish you the best of luck. Keep me posted.

JacquieM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I don’t know if any of you are still active here. I’m wondering what people do about their books in terms of cleaning. I have like 100 books, and at least 50 of them are in… Oh my God I just turned my head and saw like another 60 books. I may have about 200 books, and at least 100 of them are in the sanctuary. I’m considering just sitting on the floor with my fancy vacuum cleaner and vacuuming each one. Boy that sounds like fun. 🙄