Ringworm! Help!

Brittykb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 months ago I had 5 kittens with ringworm, they were in a cat carrier in my bathtub for 1 night, they went to another foster. i ended up with ringworm, caught it right away and started treating it. My spots almost clear and i noticed 2 of my 6 cats now had it. My vet refused to give me anything until the test came back so i bought lime sulfur dip for the time being. Finally started giving them their oral meds today! Now my biggest concern is cleaning, what cleaners, disinfectants etc work but wont harm the cats?! I hope ill be able to foster again, im terrified of missing spores and bringing in kittens who will get it. This has been horrible for me and ive never been so stressed out, i feel like it will be neverending.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't think it is unending, there IS an end. Remember that on you, if you keep the lesions covered with a small bandaid, you won't be passing it on. I treated kids in public school for years for that and head lice and I did not get either. If you spot something suspicious it may be a good idea to handle the animal with disposable gloves. Any disinfecting cleaner that is safe for cats would do it, on hard surfaces, 1/4 cup of bleach in a gallon of water is best. You might want to get some disinfecting spray in the cans, like Lysol for your carpets and furniture, and lock the cats up when you are using it. Once it is dry your cats will be fine. Change your furnace filters too. The two most common strains that are like 90% of ringworm, can live a week on surfaces.
I want to thank you for wanting to continue to foster, it is so desperately needed. May you be blessed for going through all this trouble when all you wanted to do was help.......

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently had a kitten who brought ringworm into my house. I became aware because I developed a lesion. Please read the previous post about ringworm. It is great that you caught it early. I would quarantine the two that you know have lesions. It is a very contagious fungus. Both to pets and humans. The experts say spores can live up tom18 months on surfaces. I used a disinfectant called Rescue. It can be purchased on Amazon. I could not bleach my entire house. I tossed the cat trees and many more items because I felt it was a hot spot for reinfection. The kittens ringworm went un noticed for a few weeks.
Please try and stay calm. I have six cats and three yorkies. Overwhelming but quarantining and cleaning is vital on hitting it effectively. Also, I learned so much from the internet and also the Chewy vets with questions I had. Online resource. I have been a customer for years and they cannot prescribe but very knowledgeable on treatment options. I have a vet who was not as supportive as I would have liked. I am still vacuuming frequently and watching for any signs of reinfection. Multiple pets had made it more difficult for me with the anti fungal baths. My vet would not recommend lime sulphur dips. I used a very good anti fungal shampoo recommended by chewy. All my animals are doing well and no signs of reoccurrence as of now!!! Everyone of my pets were quarantined and on intrafungal pulse dosing. There are other posts from members you should also read over.All the information is beneficial.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here's an article on ringworm and how to deal with it both on the cats and in the home, including some product names:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brittykb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Im also in canada so some cleaners i cant get here, like Rescue! I really wish i could! Hardest part for me is i have nowhere to quarentine my cats so it really sucks. But they are on a oral fungal medication and a leave in mousse. I just hope i clean well enough to avoid reoccurence 🤞🤞