Rikki Raccoon (long and sad)

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.

As some of you may recall, I lost all three of my elderly cats within a 6 month span last year. It has been very hard, and I have not adopted any pets since.

In early May we took down our cat fence topper, as I decided if I ever get a new cat, it will be indoor/harnessed only. A week later I noticed some poop by our pool and I decided it was either possum or raccoon poop. I was busy photographing birds in my yard already, so it wasn’t a stretch for me to buy a game camera so I could see the night critters as well.

The first night of filming I saw her. A young raccoon. She looked scrawny and hungry and had a bad coat and a half hairless tail. I was not happy about her being there either, as I had heard they can be destructive and carry parasites. Still, she was just a raccoon living her life.

After a few days of watching, I went to the pet store and bought wormer, flea pills and a poop scoop. I fed her meds in marshmallows that I left out by the old dog bowl. She started to look better. Her coat improved week by week. She also stopped pooping in the yard.

I eventually got more attached, and began leaving her dog biscuits and a bit of fruit as I am in Texas and we are in a severe drought. She was fun to watch eating. She also swam in my pool and cleaned out any cicadas that happened to fall in there. One night she leaned over in just the right way and I could tell she was a pregnant female. Before that night I assumed she was a young male.

All of my friends seemed to enjoy my Rikki stories and photos and videos. They gave suggestions of foods to try with her and even donated apples and duck eggs to the cause.

About 3 weeks ago, Rikki missed a night, and soon after that I could tell that she had been nursing young by the look of her teats as she sat eating an apple slice. She looked so happy and healthy and I wondered when she might bring the babies around.

Last Thursday there was no sign that Rikki had visited during the night. I wasn’t worried until it happened again, then again. By Sunday I began to suspect the worst. I had been scanning the sky for buzzards and sniffing the air for the smell of rot, but there was nothing. Still, my research indicated that this was not normal and not good. Rikki is very likely gone for good.

Yesterday, as I left for my predawn walk, I noticed my very unfriendly neighbor was up and outside. I suddenly had a strong intuitive feeling. I strongly believe that Rikki likely had a den under her shed at the edge of her property. She probably heard the kits and then had Rikki trapped and moved or destroyed. I say that because she has done that in the past with armadillos and possums. She hates anything on her property except her snobby ass. My walking buddies agree with my theory. We will very likely never see Rikki again. Her kits are likely dead as well

I am having a lot of trouble dealing with this. I know I could talk with the old bitty, but if she told me what I think is true, I don’t think I could control my actions. Instead I am choosing to avoid her even more than I usually do. Even if she had nothing to do with it, it still doesn’t bring back Rikki.

I am having trouble sleeping and concentrating and just feel really sad. Why do people have to be so rotten? Rikki was not bothering anyone.

Yesterday I transferred all of Rikki’s videos and photos to a folder on my computer. It was just too painful to see them on my phone and it is too painful for me to post any for you all to see. Trust me when I tell you she was adorable. She brought us a lot of joy.

Thanks for reading this far of you made it. The only thing that keeps me from going completely ballistic is knowing that raccoons live in the moment, and I tried to make her moments better. I succeeded for a short two months. I only hope she is not suffering now.

Thanks for reading.

C

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I will never forget the little girl with the quinceanera.

I don't know what to say that could possibly make this any better except that many of us here have experienced this with cats or wildlife. It is both heartbreaking and revolting. I hope that you will be comforted a little by the kindness that you showed to Rikki.

What makes people feel a sense of power or superiority in going after harmless animals is a mystery to me.

Avoiding this woman is probably for the best as it does not change the outcome.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What makes people feel a sense of power or superiority in going after harmless animals is a mystery to me.
:yeah:
A very wise vet once told us many years ago that there is something seriously wrong with anyone who does not feel or show compassion toward animals. I never forgot her words and couldn't agree more.

catmom2wires catmom2wires You gave Rikki her best start in life and even if her life was shortened she was grateful to you. 🤗 I would not be able to look that neighbor in the eye without getting on my soapbox. I only hope the adage is true, i.e. what goes around comes around.
RIP sweet Rikki and kits. :angel: