Right Paw/Left Paw Dominant

suzerq98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are cats right or left paw dominant like people? Has anyone noticed?
The reason I'm asking? Mac is a Q-Tip addict! He loves to play with them in the mornings when I put on my makeup. So, I put one in the right side of the medicine cabinet and one in the left side. He works and works until he gets them out.

The left side of the cabinet always seems to be harder for him then the right side so I just got to thinking maybe he's right pawed?

Anyone else notice this in their babies?

smiles,
sue

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a really good question to ponder. I have never really noticed which paw they use more often. Of course now I will be watching thier every move while they play..LOL. I think the only strange thing I have noticed is one of my cats when picked up HAS to be on the left shoulder. If you put her on the right, she will wiggle until you let her get over to the left.

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe both of mine are right pawed. They seem to reach with the right paw first, though they often use the left if that is unsuccessful, or both together. They tend to lay on the left side so the right paw is free for swiping. I bet if I watched them stand up and walk, they'd start with the right one too.

jin & spawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great question!

For answers I went straight to my source. Spawn says she's right pawed. Not in so many words, mind you, but when I just reached over to pet her, she used her right paw to claw me. Such a sweet cat she is.

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With 7 fur babes, I think I have a mix. Jin, I love the scenerio of Spawn thanking you so for petting her.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sunshine always uses her right paw to swat or claw at something....so I guess she is "righty".

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 is ambidexterous (sp?), 3 righties & one lefty. I tested them when this tread started as it got me curious!