Revolution vs Revolution Plus

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I have read some conflicting information on Revolution vs Revolution Plus, specifically that the extra ingredient in Revolution Plus can cause seizures. My cats are currently on Revolution Plus, but they are indoor only and we live in the Silicon Valley, California, USA so we don’t get too many bugs aside ocasional spiders and moths or flies in our apartment.

I have 3 cats- 22 lb black cat, 15 lb orange tabby and 9 lb Persian. Can anyone share experiences with Revolution vs Revolution Plus? My vet said I could switch them from one to the other the following month but I am just checking in before I make a choice of one over the other. Thank you so much for any advice!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I haven't used either, but there is an added ingredient in the Revolution Plus, called Sarolaner which is part of the isoxazoline class of acaricide/insecticides that has been tied to seizures in some cats, mostly those with a history of neurological issues - but there have been isolated incidents in other cats too. The only difference in coverage is that the Plus version takes care of 3 kinds of ticks - the American dog tick, black-legged/deer tick, and the Gulf Coast tick that Revolution does not. So, unless you have an issue with ticks, you could just stick with Revolution, and forgo the Plus version.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I only use the regular Revolution. I really like it and haven’t seen problems. I do not like or use the plus because it has been linked to seizure activity in cats.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I just ordered the regular Revolution from Chewy Pharmacy, which is an extra step because most local vets do not stock it and want to prescribe the Plus formulation. There are no ticks in my immediate environment, as in I have never seen one locally, so I stick to the older product.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use to use the regular Revolution and switched to the Plus when it came out because it supposidly kills live fleas/ticks faster than the regular Revolution. I've kept them on it because we now have a dog that goes on a lot of outdoor adventures. I did not know about the seizure thing, but I'm glad I learned this. We haven't had any issues with either Revolution or Revolution Plus. I've had 6 cats total on Revolution Plus.

michelw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just in case you need it - I have two unopened boxes of 3 doses revolution (regular) remaining after my 21 year old cat passed away last week.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Just in case you need it - I have two unopened boxes of 3 doses revolution (regular) remaining after my 21 year old cat passed away last week.
MOD NOTE:

To all members, a reminder that it is your responsibility to verify the authenticity and expiry dates of any products bought from other TCS members to the best of your ability. Thecatsite.com accepts no responsibility for products offered for sale on the forums. Always check with your vet before giving any medicines to your pets

Please note that this is a generic note.