Revolution - Side Effects?

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

So until last week I wasn't even aware that cats need heartworm medications as well.. and panicked for not getting any for my 1 year old boy. My vet recommended Revolution (Blue) and told me there are basically no bad or terrible side effects that's not temporary and it's best of the best out there.

The instructions said to apply it behind shoulder blades to avoid possible ingestion. But to be extra careful (because I can be ridiculous), I applied it on his head.. pretty close to his forehead and regretted it immediately. He started squinting his eyes because the odor of the strong alcohol and chemical was bothering him. He used his paws to try to get rid of it and groomed his paws constantly. He went a bit nuts and ran around and I sat there for a while regretting what I had just done.. His eyes seems to have gotten better and he stopped squinting. Because I am ridiculous.. I decided to look up the medication AFTER application of course as the squinting and agitation worried me. And of course, lots of great reviews came up. But also came up the following... which is filled with horrific side effect stories from 2012-2018...

The Side Effects of Revolution Pet Treatment

Ranging from bald spot, staggering, loss of control of limbs, going numb, litter box issues, vomiting, appetite decrease, lethargy, kidney failure, fainting, seizures, neurologic issues and death. For some the side effects didn't show till 48 hours to 8 years! How freaked out should I be right now.. I am afraid I am gonna walk into the house today and find him unconscious in his vomit.. I am a worst case scenario, glass not even half empty but rather invisible kind of person so it's been a rough day..

What are your thoughts/experience with Revolution? What kind of signs should concern me? How bad are the bald spots and are they temporary? How do I find out if he's allergic to it? If he is allergic to it what are my options? The fact that I didn't put it on shoulder blade but head/forehead - did it make his chances of getting sick higher? So far the spot on his head where I applied it.. the fur feels weird. Please help..

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think maybe you need to ask your Vet about this, since you didn't apply it as directed. Most people DO apply it between the shoulder blades, so might not be able to answer your questions. As you may have figured out, application between their shoulder blades prevents them from being able to paw it and then lick it off their paws.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would advise calling your vet. However, remember that most side effects only occur in a very small percentage of cats, so try not to panic in the mean time! Talk to the vet, do as he suggests, and don't kick yourself too hard. You'll do much, much better the next time.