Revolution Plus for cat with seizure?

Kenzerdee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! My cat was diagnosed with demodex mites and the best way to treat is by using revolution plus. My cat has had a seizure in the past and one of the side effects of this medication is that it can cause seizures rarely in some cats especially if they’ve had neurological conditions. Has anyone used this with a cat that’s had a seizure? Or if you’ve used for any cats have you seen side effects? I just want the best for my baby. I could do a sulfur dip instead to treat her mites but I do want her on a heartworm preventative also. Thank you for any help!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, it's nice to meet you.

I've never personally used this medication for my cats that I know of, though we do use some sort of topical medication for fleas that we buy from our vet. Though I don't know the potential side effects of this medication, I think you should consult your vet. I am assuming it contains neurotoxins, like lice medication for people. I won't go into extreme detail, but I do know of a child that had a seizure after her father forgot to wash lice medication off her hair. Again, I am always comparing animal reactions to what happens to people, but I'd rather you be safe than sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kenzerdee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would talk to your vet. I would not use Revolution on a cat with a history of seizures.
I’ve asked her specialty vet and her normal vet and they just say there’s a risk and it’s up to me. They’ve said that I can try it and if she has a seizure to discontinue use but I’m worried it’ll permanently hurt her 😢

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a hard decision. Did they offer an alternative at all or options?

Kenzerdee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a hard decision. Did they offer an alternative at all or options?
They said we can do weekly lime sulfur dips for 6 weeks to cure the mites. But I do want her on a heartworm preventative during the summer months so she can go out on the patio with me. I don’t know if heartguard would be the safest option as far as heartworm prevention goes

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you try it, remember when you put it on her, it will stay active in her body for 30 days. This isn't like a collar you could take off ( and some collars leave a residue that remains for days)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feline Demodex | VCA Animal Hospitals

I don't know if the article will help with other suggestions or not. If you were to use Revolution, how often would it be given? Personally, I agree with those who are advising caution and the reason I am asking is that in dogs who are treated for this condition with Revolution it is applied on a different and more frequent schedule. If this were to be the case, it would raise a caution about a cat with seizures.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can use the regular old Revolution, not the plus. Ask your vet to write a prescription for it and order it online. Of course talk to your vet about your concerns. But, the Regular Revolution does not have the extra ingredient that the Plus does, and that is the ingredient that causes the neurological signs.

Kenzerdee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can use the regular old Revolution, not the plus. Ask your vet to write a prescription for it and order it online. Of course talk to your vet about your concerns. But, the Regular Revolution does not have the extra ingredient that the Plus does, and that is the ingredient that causes the neurological signs.
Interesting! The only problem though is that she said it’s the ingredient that revolution plus has that kills the mites 😕

Kenzerdee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feline Demodex | VCA Animal Hospitals

I don't know if the article will help with other suggestions or not. If you were to use Revolution, how often would it be given? Personally, I agree with those who are advising caution and the reason I am asking is that in dogs who are treated for this condition with Revolution it is applied on a different and more frequent schedule. If this were to be the case, it would raise a caution about a cat with seizures.
I’ll take a look at the article! It would be applied topically every 30 days

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are other ways to kill ear mites, we did it long before Revolution came out. It's likely the vet has some other cures available and the Revolution is just the easiest to use. Perhaps she forgot your cat has had seizures. It might not be on the front of her chart.

Kenzerdee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are other ways to kill ear mites, we did it long before Revolution came out. It's likely the vet has some other cures available and the Revolution is just the easiest to use. Perhaps she forgot your cat has had seizures. It might not be on the front of her chart.
It’s not ear mites she has it’s demodex mites (aka mange) so that’s why she recommended it. I asked her if it was safe with her seizure and she just said there’s a risk to it which was not super helpful for my anxiety 😂 she said the only other alternative was to do weekly like sulfur dips so I might try that instead

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I read the thread and twisted your information in my mind, probably because we'd done ear mites. No, manage is an entirely different world.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you read the article that fionasmom fionasmom offered, it would appear that Heartgard might be a possible treatment. However, ivermectin, which is the primary active ingredient in Heartgard also has a potential for neurological issues but mostly if given in higher, off-label doses. The sarolaner contained in Revolution Plus that apparently can also work on your cat's mange, carries that neurological risk, but it would seem that is possible even at standard dosing.

So, you might ask your vet about her perception of safety and use of the Heartgard as a treatment. IF it can be given at the normal standard dosing to eradicate the mange, it would be with the same level of risk as you would take when considering this product for heartworm prevention.

Kenzerdee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you read the article that fionasmom fionasmom offered, it would appear that Heartgard might be a possible treatment. However, ivermectin, which is the primary active ingredient in Heartgard also has a potential for neurological issues but mostly if given in higher, off-label doses. The sarolaner contained in Revolution Plus that apparently can also work on your cat's mange, carries that neurological risk, but it would seem that is possible even at standard dosing.

So, you might ask your vet about her perception of safety and use of the Heartgard as a treatment. IF it can be given at the normal standard dosing to eradicate the mange, it would be with the same level of risk as you would take when considering this product for heartworm prevention.
When the vet tech called I asked about Heartgard and she treated me like I’m stupid and said no🙄 I ended up trying the Revolution plus this morning, we gave it to her almost 4 hours ago and no side effects so far but I’m watching her closely

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had our youngest cat treated with Bravecto because he had lots of fleas and ticks. No problems at all.

We had the vet do the treatment and, because he was there for other things, he stayed overnight. By the time he came home, it had been almost a day since he was treated. If he could go that long without side effects, we didn't have any concerns.

So, just a suggestion, if you have concerns about giving your cat a flea treatment that you have never used, before, you might do well to have your cat stay overnight at the vet, just in case.

The next time we give our cat a flea treatment, we feel confident about doing it at home.

Since your cat has gone over four hours without showing any side effects, I feel confident to say that there probably won't be any.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We had our youngest cat treated with Bravecto because he had lots of fleas and ticks. No problems at all...Since your cat has gone over four hours without showing any side effects, I feel confident to say that there probably won't be any.
Your cat has not had previous issues with any seizing, correct? Do you know for a fact that there isn't a cumulative effect, especially in cats with previous seizures? It is fine to let others know of your success but be wary of advising on matters that do not pertain to the cat in question if the same conditions do not apply to your cat.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I was unclear.

I understand that our cat didn't have any previous seizures but OP's cat did.

I meant to suggest that, if somebody has a cat that has had seizures, treating the cat at the vet might be a sensible option.