Revolution...Does it burn?

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think it should burn.  My cats have only reacted to frontline. I've never had a problem with revolution.

It is very obvious, as some of my cats are white, and the frontline made their skin inflamed and red.  Never had an issue with the Revolution though.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The alcohol in Revolution might sting a little but it shouldn't burn. One of my cat is allergic to Revolution. He would get bald spots on his head and neck. He uses HeartGuard now. HeartGuard doesn't take care of fleas and ticks but my cats are indoor only. My other cat still uses Revolution.

If Revolution is causing bald and/or red spots on your cat, it's best to stop using it and consult the vet. The abnormal spot should heal on its own but ask the vet if there is anything you can put on it to help it heal (like Neopsporin or other OTC ointment).

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will not use Revolution or ANY of the brands that contain one of the avermectin derivatives because in my experience, many cats are sensitive to it and a few, like a few dogs, actually have a rare genetic abnormality that allows the drug to cross the blood/brain barrier and cause crazy neurological symptoms. I have one kitten who has this abnormality and had a horrible reaction to the moxidectin in Advantage Multi, exactly the same as the sensitive dogs, including ataxia, focal seizures, temporary blindness, drooling amd uncoordination/dizziness (he had no skin reaction, however, it went straight to his brain).  For years I have always used plain Advantage and none of my cats had any skin sensitivies to it, but this year I tried the Advantage Multi for Cats and three of 10 had skin reactions, one lost all her hair around the application site, and two others had redness and some hair loss.  Revolution uses selamectin, but they are all in the same family (macrocylic lactones and milbemycins) which include ivermectin, moxidectin, milbemycin oxime, doramectin, selamectin, abamectin and eprinomectin. In my opinion, if your cat has any skin reaction or acts like the Revolution is burning him, wash it off immediately and rub corn starch into the area to absorb any extra oil (you can comb it out with a flea comb and the oil will bead in the corn starch).  Some are sensitive and some are not, so pay attention to what your cat's telling you.  If he's fine with it, no problem, but if not, better to have a few flea bites than be burned (or poisoned) by a chemical designed to kill parasites.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not use the advantage multi. I really like and stick with advantage 11.

I used revolution once on my personal cats who I had to have treated for earmites, and was sold the revolution.

I applied it once, and the fur was gone where I put it. Not right in my opinion, so I won't use it again.

What really scares me is when I read about people using the Hartz flea med.........egads..

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
It's that time of the month again and my cats always run and hide when I get out the little vials of Revolution. They don't mind their claws being trimmed or any other grooming, but they HATE having the Revolution put on them. I've asked the Vet about this before and she says they don't like the smell but I think it must be more than that.

Tonight, when I put it on Lilly as I rubbed it into the spot between her shoulders a lot of hair came off. Not just a few hairs but a large clump of it. That was unusual

plus, they always act like I'm burning them with a hot poker. Poor babies. I just can't imagine that the alcohol in it can make their skin burn that much.

Has anyone else noticed this with Revolution?

Ooops...posted in behavior...should have been grooming. Mods...can you move please? Thanks.
you just squeeze vile do not rub it in.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This was the first and last time I used Advantage Multi!  I actually threw away the rest of it (2 tubes because I had 12 of them.)  After that, I studied up on moxidectin which led me to studying all the avermectin derivatives and then reading reports and reviews and incidents on all the different flea products that use them, and I'll accept if any of my cats do get heartworm (I've lost two to it in my lifetime) because I'm not using any of those medicines.  In fact, I use plain Advantage rather than the Advantage II because for some reason it seems to work just as well if not better than Advantage II, AND there's one less chemical in it (pyriproxyfen).   It's described as an "insect growth regulator" but it's another substance that can irritate the skin and "burn" the cat if it is sensitive to it.  It is marketed alone under the name Nylar.

Side Effects
May see irritation or redness on the skin. If sensitivity occurs, bathe in mild shampoo and contact your veterinarian.

Contraindications/Warnings
Do not use on cats hypersensitive (allergic) to it.

Do not get product in pet's eyes or mouth.

Need to treat all pets in the household for fleas or the problem will continue.

Treat year-round for best results or start before warm weather begins each spring in the northern states. .

Drug Interactions
Do not use with other topical pesticides unless directed by your veterinarian.

excerpt from http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=26+1303&aid=1475

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have had no skin reactions in any of my  cats when using Advantage (imadocloprid) without the pyriproxyfen. 

Last edited:

pocelaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat doesn't like revolution either, she gets really upset at me, i think it might hurt her.
Luckily i discovered something called nutritional yeast, she loves it and it doesn't hurt her.

tigiesmommie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat also hates getting his monthly Revolution treatment. He uses his paws to groom it off unless we keep him distracted somehow until he's calmed down.  I usually take him for a ride in my van, he LOVES to go for rides, by the time we get home he's all calmed down.

gumcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same reaction from one of my cats in October. My mom (and others) takes care of a feral cat colony where we live and I noticed my cats were scratching. I take that seriously because one of my cats has a bad allergic reaction to ear mites, and they can come as a package deal; fleas, ear mites and tape worms). We put it on our own cats and my oldest boy acted like he was scared of me after I went to check on all of them about 30 mins after I applied revolution. I always check on my cats after I treat them with anything, to be on the safe side. I had to show him I had nothing in my hands! We normally used activyl but the vet we had been getting it at switched to revolution. It's been about a month and a half now and he still has a huge scab right where I applied it. I feel sooo bad!! He was the only cat of mine or my mom's that had a bad reaction to it. The scab is coming off in pieces but the majority of it is still there. Its the size of a dime now. Also two others of mine and one of my mom's cats you could tell the fumes hurt their eyes. Our other vet now carries activyl and that's what our cats will be treated with whenever needed. The scent to me is green, like grass or leaves. The cats didn't mind that smell and I liked it too. It's cheaper too than revolution, as well as working on the fleas systems differently. Makes me wonder, though, because he had revolution when he was 3 yrs younger and no issues:did they change anything in the formula?

lunariris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With all our cats, we use Revolution as needed (intended for once a month use) without problems, yet they seem to be bothered more that it's a cold and wet liquid going on them than by anything else, including smell. I put it on them when everyone's eating, and I pre-pop the containers before walking up to them, leaving the lids on tight, until I put it on them. Then it's minimal reaction. Most of them keep eating, only a few I have to hold with one hand and apply with the other. I try to part the hair a little above but still between the shoulder blades, and squeeze the bottle onto their skin under the fur. 

However, only one of our cats has ever had a problem I've seen with any flea/tick/worm topical. Profender, the topical de-wormer, which if I remember correctly treats for an additional worm not covered in Revolution, yet is not for fleas/ticks, and Revolution has to be used separately, I think at least a week apart but is only meant to be put on once every 3 months at most (I only tried it once because of the reaction to the one).

Our one cat lost all the fur around the spot I put the Profender on her neck, about the size of a penny in diameter, and didn't grow back fully for several months. 

I read that it shouldn't burn or sting unless the skin is broken with a scratch or wound (then it shouldn't be applied, ask a vet how to go about treating them for the skin and for fleas/ticks etcetera, they may give you Capstar or a pill instead of the topical), but that fur loss or redness of the skin/itching are all signs of an allergic reaction to the topical and to discontinue use for that pet. 

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Had the same thing happen to my cat. I put it on her and she didn't like it but I didn't think anything about it. Then I was looking at her and saw something that looked like her fur missing and there was a big bald spot. And then I also realized after reading other posts, maybe she was pulling away because it was burning her.  I put it on three of my cats only because the one had worms and she was a feral. But it only bothered the one. They say some are sensitive to this stuff.

zookeeper67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it does burn. And I had  a male cat suffer and allergic reaction with hair loss wherever he splashed the liquid when he tried to shake it off. It does get better but I do not use Revolution anymore. My cats have always tolerated the Advantage with no side affects.

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kat-Kat has same allergy to all liquid treatments.

He has to go to vet for steroid shots every so often, I get a tablet to cut into quarters then crush to put in his food. So far it's the only thing that works and doesn't cause him problems (but it does cost $45.00 for the pill)

Last edited:

besotted

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have been using Revolution on my cat for 2 years. The first year, he was annoyed and ran. Thought the smell and Vet agreed. Did not bother him otherwise. This past year he has been losing hair in the area and scratches the spot which causes a sore and bleeding, ? possibly the reason for hair loss? Have been trying to wash it off 2 hours after application. Then later, put vaseline on the area. When I do this he looks at me with "lovey eyes" so am not sure he likes the rub or it is soothing. Also am alternating the site. Past 2 months has been some better but he still loses hair. Today I left message with Revolution regarding any possible solutions to this problem. The vet suggested changing but my cat is in and out so don't feel I can forgo the heart worm protection. Wondering if there was a change in products last year but looks like this has been a problem for several years. 

Has anyone else found anything that helps? Considered using low dose hydrocortisone cream or ointment on the spot but think my cat can reach anywhere also.

dame de chat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi...I don't think the Revolution burns. It's just that a liquid is being put on them. My two girls, Kismet and Saffron don't like "Revolution" either so last week, when I took them in to have their first annual checkup, I asked their vet to put the Revolution on without the help of an aide. This way I could learn the most effective way to hold them and exactly where the Revolution should go.

That said, just like with humans, animals can have allergies. i would check with your vet just to be on the safe side.

Good luck

cocopuffsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Coco FREAKED OUT every time I came close to her with that stuff. After the 3rd treatment she developed a huge bald spot and I stopped using it on her. I assume it's not pleasent!

grandpa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tracked you down from a post about cat having skin scabs.
Your answer made the most sense but when giving 1oz. Per pound liquid Benadryl how did you give it? Did you rub it on skin, add to water, give it orally? Also did they get sleepy and would children's Benadryl work? I'm also going to go back to dry food I was feeding them prior to this out break. I have 3 cats. 10 yr. calico name Jack who has it the worst with scabs and hair loss down length of back. A 2 yr old Maine coon name Angel who just has a few small patches on neck, top of head, and her sister Sassy the same age who gets the flare up on the side of her chin just below her lip only and this current time is her second ever and within a few months. The vet that sees all three cats is expensive and I mean $300 for each cat when ever they go in it seams to be my fixed rate per cat. Shots $300, scabs $300, check up $300. At least when I bring the two girls in together it's between $300-$450 if that's a break.
Thank you and the others for letting me know I'm not alone.

simplyandrea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you get nay replies to how to treat the red, swollen, and irritated bald patch  of skin? My cat has the same as yours....As described, plus I must have dropped some on his leg because the hair there is "stiff." Bald spot looks like a near-to-open wound. Did you get any suggested remedies?

marla gromer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats both act the same. They are inside cats but live to go outside. I have been taking them out on pretty days this winter. Got out the revolution gave first dose last month and they acted as is I had stuck a hot match to their neck. Started to administer their April dose and the little one went nuts. Did not get the job done. Have decided it is not worth the fear and distrust I see in their eyes so will not be taking them outside. They have no way of understanding why the people they trust are hurting them. Just not worth it.
Does anyone know of a similar product that does not burn when applied? MG