Revolution and diarrhea

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have always given monthly Revolution to my cats. My previous cat used it with no issues. My new cat tolerates it ok, but has slight diarrhea for a day or so after each dose. It’s not too bad because she is on a probiotic. Is this a common side effect and should I be worried or discontinue? She is still eating regularly and has the same energy levels.

I know the packaging says a side effect might be diarrhea, but I’m looking for real life experiences.

Thanks,
Chelsea

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have used Revolution for both cats and dogs. Years ago, as a puppy, the dog was on an accelerated dosage due to mange. He had no reaction to it except that it cured the mange. One of my cats seems to have an allergic reaction to it (urticaria/skin break out and welts), so she uses Advantage. Other cats were fine, although I have not used Revolution Plus as the warning still bothers me a little bit. Diarrhea is not something I ever saw with Revolution or Advantage. Certainly, your cat could be the one to have that reaction, but sometimes I have found that conditions present coincidentally and, while there appears to be a connection, there are really two separate issues. Does this occur every time you use Revolution?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used Revolution for both cats and dogs. Years ago, as a puppy, the dog was on an accelerated dosage due to mange. He had no reaction to it except that it cured the mange. One of my cats seems to have an allergic reaction to it (urticaria/skin break out and welts), so she uses Advantage. Other cats were fine, although I have not used Revolution Plus as the warning still bothers me a little bit. Diarrhea is not something I ever saw with Revolution or Advantage. Certainly, your cat could be the one to have that reaction, but sometimes I have found that conditions present coincidentally and, while there appears to be a connection, there are really two separate issues. Does this occur every time you use Revolution?
Thank you for your reply! For this kitty, she has a day or so of diarrhea after each dose. It was much worse before she was on a probiotic and was on dry food (didn’t know better). Since the transition to wet food her digestion is much better. Before, the diarrhea would last for days. Happily, the diarrhea lasted only for a day so I’m guessing the Revolution just upset her stomach a bit or even just the stress of giving it to her.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! For this kitty, she has a day or so of diarrhea after each dose. It was much worse before she was on a probiotic and was on dry food (didn’t know better). Since the transition to wet food her digestion is much better. Before, the diarrhea would last for days. Happily, the diarrhea lasted only for a day so I’m guessing the Revolution just upset her stomach a bit or even just the stress of giving it to her.
I'm glad to hear it was not serious. I've used Revolution for a long time on my cats, and they've never had a reaction to it--not that I've noticed, anyway.