Revolution adverse reaction pls help

Punkyismybby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I gave my sweet punky her revolution flea medicine today and about 6 hours later I noticed she had been sleeping all day. She vommited 4 times about 6 hours after her dose in 1 to 2 hour intervals. It looks like she's got some diarrhea as well. Has anyone else's cat had vommiting like that after flea medicine? I'm worried that she is poisoned from it or something. She is alert and breathing fine etc. Just mostly nauseous and upset stomach I'd say. Is this a normal/ common side effect? The medicine insert said it can cause vommiting and diarrhea but idk where the line would be drawn. I don't have any money to take her to the vet either. Just the thought of her being sick makes me feel sick. I don't think I'll sleep an inch tonight. God I hate flea medicine!!!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used Revolution Plus for a couple years and have never had any adverse reactions. It could just be a coincidence that the vomiting and diarrhea started after giving the dose but I would take the cat to the vet regardless. If not just for some IV fluids for the probable dehydration.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you encourage her to drink, I had a cat that lost all its hair as a bad reaction. If she did twist around and lick some of it, it very well could cause these symptoms. I put it up very high, almost between the ears and down, nowhere near the shoulders. do not treat for fleas at all unless you actually know for certain she is infested. Monitor her for 48 hours and see if she gets better. I wouldn't use that brand again. Be very certain on the dosage too. Please keep us informed on how she is doing!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pedialyte

There's a recipe for homemade pedialyte in this thread. See if you can get her to drink some of this to get her some hydration and balance those electrolytes. If she's not better soon, I would try to scrape up some money and have her see a vet. Could be a fluke, but better safe than sorry!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, I agree with whoever said not to use this brand on her again.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do not treat for fleas at all unless you actually know for certain she is infested.
I treat as a preventive so there won't be an infestation. I used to not treat until the time someone in our house brought fleas into the house somehow. Either from coworker or classmate. Or just being outside. They do get on people and then look for an animal to feast on.

To each their own. No one can really say how someone else should live their lives or take care of their people/pets. That's what makes the forum helpful. Different perspectives and you can pick and choose what you want to do.

P Punkyismybby I do hope this is only temporary and your baby is feeling better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Punkyismybby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Make sure you encourage her to drink, I had a cat that lost all its hair as a bad reaction. If she did twist around and lick some of it, it very well could cause these symptoms. I put it up very high, almost between the ears and down, nowhere near the shoulders. do not treat for fleas at all unless you actually know for certain she is infested. Monitor her for 48 hours and see if she gets better. I wouldn't use that brand again. Be very certain on the dosage too. Please keep us informed on how she is doing!
Thank you so much for your concern. This morning punky seemed to feel better! She stopped vommiting to my knowledge and seems to be so much perkier! I hope she stays like this but I will continue to monitor her and keep updating. Maybe the 5.1 - 15 lb 45mg dose was too much for her? Revolution has a dose for up to 5 lbs that's only 15mg instead of 45mg. Punky only weighs 6 lbs. Even though she took the recommended dose for her weight bracket I bet certain animals can vary on doses. Maybe I can ask our vet if I can try giving her the smaller dose next time? Flea medicine has always scared me and also punky has severe flea allergy dermatitis. I live in the country and have outdoor pets too so fleas have kind of been the bane of my existence every spring and summer! I just wish the natural stuff worked so I wouldn't have to use pesticides on my sensitive bbys! Again thank you very much for your concern and advice!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd call the vet and inform him / her of the reaction and what you can do to help ease the symptoms at home and if you can try a different flea / parasite preventative next time. The Revolution insert has a phone number you can call to report adverse reactions.