Reverse Sneezing?

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 18 year old cat started gagging two days ago. I have another cat who was doing the same thing and he had a virus, so I took the 18 yr old cat to the vets. She checked the cat and says she seems fine. She thinks that she snorted up some water when drinking (wouldn't doubt it as she always snorts when drinking) and has some stuff in behind her sinuses which are making her feel not so great and that she is reverse sneezing. I noticed that when I pet her and she starts to purr that is when she does the gag / reverse sneezing. Has anyone else experienced this with their cats? I trust the vet because if she thought something else was wrong I know, from previous experiences, she would run all sorts of tests. I just haven't heard of this, but I did see cats on YouTube reverse sneeze and it seemed similar, my cat just doesn't do it as much as severe.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd love to be able to pin this down for you, but we've had several instances of this, with several solutions!

What I would suggest doing is, if you have video capability, either with a camera or your phone, get a clip of this, WITH SOUND, for your vet, and be sure to tell her that it occurs when she starts purring during petting. You never know what little clue will trigger that "AH HA" moment for a vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet actually said to do the same thing! I did take a video of it. It’s just like a quick gag noise. Not as often as other cats in YouTube videos.

She even made the noise when eating and drinking. She is definitely acting better than yesturday, but she isn’t eating as much as usual. She’s a pig, but she has had issues with hyperthyroidism in the past and the vet thinks she has that again. But she doesn’t think that has anything to do with what’s going on now.

But if the vet doesn’t think it’s anything I shouldn’t worry too much. I just had a cas pass away from cancer in February so everytime one of my cats seems to be not feeling well I get nervous!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Of course you do, and will for awhile yet! Hekitty had a bout with pancreatitis a couple of years ago (how I found TCS), and I jumped every time she turned her head funny for months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet actually said that my cat had pancreatitis as well! That and a virus but now she’s 100% back to normal! The virus seems to be going around the house though as one of the other cats seems to have gotten it, making her cat 4 of 5 with a virus!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh man, that is rough! But at least you're headed back in the right direction now! Pancreatitis is a bear. Hekitty had a bout with it. That's actually what brought me here to TCS, and I never left.

lenka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old discussion, but wonder if it went away or how has it been treated? i have a 10 year old male cat that started reverse sneezing 10 days ago. Been to the vets 2x an they dont know, because there is no discharge at all, the upper respiratory infection / virus can be ruled out. The only way forward is to take a nose swab, but that need anaesthesia, potentiall CT scan to find polyps, tumours or foreign body

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll be watching this, as I have 2 senior boys that do this quite violently. Sometimes with discharge sometimes not.

lenka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have they been diagnosed with anything? My vet said antibiotics he would not prescribe as it is unlikely an infection. I dont know if it can be just a virus without any discharge at all. He also sleeps quietly - so his nose does not seem full. I worry it can be a nasal tumour?

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had described it to my vet during another cat's appt. She was thinking possibly allergy to litter, since they have only been doing this since they came inside a year ago.
They are my retired barn kiddies, 14 and 15 yrs old. The discharge is never bloody, only thick white. Other than that they are eating, playing and pooping. Antibiotics were tried sometime last year with no improvement. Ironically a month before I brought them in, they had their wellness and vaccination visit and they were healthy !
Didn't mean to be so long winded...

lenka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for response, i hear allergy in cats is very rare though. Somehow I also thought that allergy would result in normal sneezing rather than reverse sneezing. As you know when you try to self diagnose you can really freak yourself out.
So the mystery continues.
Glad both of your kitties are just allergic, that is the best scenario I think.