Reusing Old Cat Supplies For New Cat

altairose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you ever used your old cat trees for a new cat after the previous cat passed away? How did you clean them? And how did you clean the house to prepare for the new cat? Would the new cat be anxious about the lingering smell of a cat that it cannot see?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not something you need to worry about unless you haven't cleaned up cat pee spots that well. Maybe if you are adopting an adult cat with a history perhaps, but with an average cat, just use the normal methods of introducing the cat to your home and don't worry about it.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have bought 3 used (new condition) scratching posts and reused our cat stairs with our current cats with no issues.

Rub some cat nip on them and all is forgiven...lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

altairose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks. What about reusing a cat carrier (one of those soft ones, not the plastic crate carriers)?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks. What about reusing a cat carrier (one of those soft ones, not the plastic crate carriers)?
Dont know about a soft carrier.

I would want to wash that in the washing machine.....maybe a big machine at a laundry mat. I would expect it might have urine in it.

I did buy two dog crates for greg and arnold. The former owner used them for puppies. A cat cage was a bit small for each of my boys.

I used a very strong sanitizer, let it sit, scrubbed it and rinsed thoroughly. My boys have no issue with the crates. Other than they now associate the crates with a trip in the car....which they HATE.