reuniting litter mates

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got our kitten, L3370, a month ago. We thought we would just do one cat, until our landlord said he wouldn't charge us extra for "one or two cats". Suddenly, bringing home L3370's sister was an option!

I'm picking Tesla (the sister) up today. But now I'm nervous about the reintroduction! I haven't prepared myself for taking things slowly, because they were litter mates. But they have been apart for a month.

Do I need to I introduce them like strangers? (They are only 16 weeks, so very adaptable.)

Last edited:

burkey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might have already picked her up by now, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents at you...

I don't anticipate it'll take long for the two of them to get used to each other again, but you never know. Remember that your home will be new to Tesla and your other kitten has had a month at home already. So that gives one kitten an advantage right from the start.  If possible, I would give Tesla her own room for 24-48 hours, just to start getting used to the new smells & sounds, and some low-stress bonding time with you. Then, switch the cats... give Tesla free roam, and put the other one in Tesla's room for a few hours. This will reintroduce their scents to each other. Put Tesla back in the room for another night, just to give her some down time after her exploration. And provided everything has gone 100% ok so far, I'd probably let the two of them together at that point and see what happens.

It is possible that they will not recognize each other and potentially have issues as a result, like any other cats/kittens. If that ends up being the case, go through introduction steps from the beginning as you would if they had never known each other at all.... more time separated, and a lot more swapping scents (like swapping beds, or rubbing them down with with a blanket or towel, and putting it with the other cat, etc).

Best of luck, let us know how it goes. Hopefully they'll be best friends very quickly! Don't push them together too hard at first, and have fun!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good advice. Thanks! I pick up Tesla in an hour. I have a quiet space ready for her. We're all excited (except Leeto, who has no idea what's coming! lol)

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am heartbroken. :(

I met the previous owner in a parking lot to pick up Tesla. During the exchange, she got spoked and clawed her way out of the crate before we could close it and bolted. I am badly scratched up. We looked and called for her for 2 hours (until the sun went down).

The area where we were looking had some bins full of hay, so I think someone is taking care of ferals around there. Hopefully Tesla will be ok.

I am so sad that I had to drive home without her. :( There are a couple more kittens from the same litter available for adoption. Maybe we'll still end up with two kitties.

:( :( :(

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah. We will be checking for her again tomorrow. Poor little thing. :(

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was so happy you were going to bring her home; now I'm very sad for you.  I hope everything works out.

allenkm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One thing to try that I know has worked before is put out a blanket or shirt that smells like home near where you lost her, then check back and she may be in it..

This worked for my neighbor's after a fire

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have been in contact with a group called Friends of Feral Felines that takes care of ferals in the area. They said they placed the boxes we saw while looking for Tesla, and that they come feed twice a day. They will keep an eye out for Tesla, but said she may just join the group of ferals.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Perhaps Tesla's original owner could come and put some familiar smelling items out.  She doesn't really know you yet.

I am certainly hoping and praying for the best...

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, being done.

We're all hoping for the best, too. There's really not a lot that I can do right now but wait for any good news.

The original owner is worried about her becoming unsociable if she's around the ferals too long (not to mention she is totally unvetted, which puts her at risk for infections and pregnancy). Is it likely for a 16wk kitten raised inside to become unsociable?

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know of 2 cats that were sisters and were reunited after 2 years and were so happy to have eachother and groomed one another. It makes me sad so many cats get seperated from their siblings when adopted, some cats really do miss them no matter what shelters say!

allenkm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know of 2 cats that were sisters and were reunited after 2 years and were so happy to have eachother and groomed one another. It makes me sad so many cats get seperated from their siblings when adopted, some cats really do miss them no matter what shelters say!
Amazing story, truly amazing.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 Is it likely for a 16wk kitten raised inside to become unsociable?
I don't think so.  But the ferals could ostracize her.  Just keep trying to make contact. 

Have you put up notices and an ad in the newspaper?  Not that anyone reads newspapers anymore, but a thought...

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no sign of Tesla. :(

Last night I brought home a male kitten from the litter. We named him Hex. He is black, with tiny puffs of white on his chest and belly. We are working on introductions with Leeto. I hope they become friends quickly (they are litter mates). Poor Hex was meowing all night.

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No news on Tesla. Poor thing.

But Hex and Leeto are happy kitties I our home. I'm glad we could at least give a home to them.