Retransitioning an indoor cat to home life after 30+ day escape in the wild

magicboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 year old baby boy escaped from home after a move and was missing for 5 weeks. Miraculously he is back with me now and the vet gave him a clean bill of health other than some flees and weight loss. Since bringing him home 2 days ago, I've noticed some behavior changes. At feeding time or when offered treats he is frantic, gulping down whatever he's given and pushily trying to get more. He's been very clingy, staying within a foot of me at all times and getting anxious and worked up when I've left for short periods of time (like to shower). His favorite toy was a mouse wand toy and today he got really agitated when I tried to play with him, biting down on it hard and tearing it apart.

Does anyone have experience with bringing a cat home after an escape/traumatic experience? Is there anything else I should look out for/expect? I want to reduce his stress wherever possible after the hard month he's had. Any advice welcome!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When I rescued my cat Coco she was also very clingy. Over time she was not like that. My cats favorite toy is one they can grab and put in their mouth like the wand toy with a mouse go cat catcher. Her favorite now is the Purrfect Cat Toy Leather Bouncer wand toy. Your cat is
Being a hunter

Last edited:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
How wonderful that he is home and healthy! Whether he returns to his former habits and personality is really unknown at this point. He has been through something traumatic and he is living in a home that is new to him so it may days or even weeks before he settles back in. The clingy behavior may go away but it also may continue, it’s just hard to say. And now that he has had the experience of trying to get his own food, it is entirely possible that he will always tear into his toys when he catches him. You just need to keep doing what you have been doing and see how his behavior evolves in the coming weeks.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome you were able to get hm back after 5 weeks.
Only advise I could give is lots of cuddles and talking to him to bring back his security with you.
I understand him being frantic with food..think that will settle down pretty soon once he feel safe again...otherwise not much to tell you as that would be a new and novel situation for most of us I think.
Keep us informed and we can all learn a bit from your experience with this as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

magicboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

magicboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the feedback and reassurances.
Boy is spending 80% of the day cuddled up near or on me, which I am A-OK with right now (he scared me!) He's spending a lot more time than normal grooming and getting himself clean and soft.
Food is still a desperate situation, but luckily he isn't showing defensive behaviors. For now I'm gonna let it be and hopefully he'll settle in and grow more comfortable.
He's loving his ball track toy and seems to be working out some anxious energy on it. I haven't brought out his mouse toy again, but he was reasonably receptive to a feather wand toy.

magicboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So 2 weeks in food is still a stresspoint. He's been eating paper whenever he can get his paws on it. I've been trying to keep all paper out of his access, but inevitably someone puts down a pile of mail or leaves some sheet music out. Anyone have any good advice for dealing with pica? He also knows which drawer his treats are kept in and I woke up to find that dresser had been clawed within an inch of it's life overnight (rip furniture). He has never been the cat to sharpen his claws on furniture. He has multiple scratch posts that he seems to enjoy so I think this was 100% about getting to the food. Sad to think about how hungry and desperate he must have been outside.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 331041I would buy his a food puzzle where he needs to move levers or push doors to get the treat. These may keep him occupied for hours, give him something to hunt and distract him from scratching your doors and cupboards. I would also try to keep everything he is trying to get in upper cabinets that he can’t get to.

Here is one on Chewy

View attachment 331041

magicboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 That sounds ideal! Do you know of any particularly tricky ones? I don't mind adding a little kibble to his daily diet if it'll last for a while, but I'd like to avoid putting kibble in a toy just to have him immediately eat it all and want more.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 That sounds ideal! Do you know of any particularly tricky ones? I don't mind adding a little kibble to his daily diet if it'll last for a while, but I'd like to avoid putting kibble in a toy just to have him immediately eat it all and want more.
I tried to post one from Chewy but it isn’t working. They had a plastic one that looked challenging enough. I think it was $13.50. I will try to post pic again
FDE09DDE-145D-47A9-94D7-721224336558.jpeg

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your guy weight wise? Have you considered letting him free feed kibble? He may overeat at first but perhaps once he realizes there is always a full bowl he will relax about food. You could get a self feeder with a kibble reservoir that would keep the bowl full.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So 2 weeks in food is still a stresspoint. He's been eating paper whenever he can get his paws on it. I've been trying to keep all paper out of his access, but inevitably someone puts down a pile of mail or leaves some sheet music out. Anyone have any good advice for dealing with pica? He also knows which drawer his treats are kept in and I woke up to find that dresser had been clawed within an inch of it's life overnight (rip furniture). He has never been the cat to sharpen his claws on furniture. He has multiple scratch posts that he seems to enjoy so I think this was 100% about getting to the food. Sad to think about how hungry and desperate he must have been outside.
I have rectangle plastic boxes with a lid I got at target or Walmart to put paper in

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I never give my cats dry. It looks like you might be able to put in tiny amount of canned in the brain toy. It might be messy

magicboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 Looks super cool. I'll place an order and try it out.
Before he went missing he was slightly chubby. He's pretty sedentary other than daily playtimes. I try to keep him mostly wet food for hydration reasons mostly.