Retirement Gifts - Looking For Ideas Please!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can hardly believe it; but my Aunt is retiring very soon. She has spent her career mostly as a Critical Care Nurse and then working her way up to one of the top nursing supervisors in her hospital. She is one of those people that is there for everyone. When she isn't working she's taking care of my 99 year old Grandmother or her young grandsons. My kids adore her. :hearthrob:

When we visit; she insists on making sure Gram's refrigerator is stocked with kid friendly foods. Even when I tell her she doesn't need to do that! She finds little goodies for them to play with too. Books, clothing, etc. she spoils them in Gram's name and her own. ;)

If someone is sick; she's there. One 2nd cousin was in the ER with extreme morning sickness and she said my aunt found out later and was like "WHY didn't you tell me!? I'd have come down there!" :lol: She is constantly crocheting blankets; especially baby blankets. Family, friends, coworkers, my step-siblings she isn't related to at all, her kid's friends...if someones pregnant she sends a blanket. :lol: Those were always my kids favorites. :thumbsup:

So now that shes retiring; I feel like it's a good time to show her how much she's loved and admired and appreciated by my little family. :agree:

But what do I get her that says that!? :help: Flowers and jewelry have crossed my mind. (My nice gold hoops were a gift from her when I started college.) There is a joint banquet going on for her and her daughter's aunt-in-law; but I won't be able to attend. It's too far away and they get too much snow up there for me. So I need to send it. Or wait till I come up; but I'd rather send it soon.

I'm open to any suggestions please! She might even appreciate some kind of donation or something purchase in her honor. Like when you can purchase a brick to help finance funding for something. Maybe I'm over-thinking it; but such a generous, loving person deserves a special gift. :confused:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles - This is a no-brainer!

:spew:With all her yarn? :lol: My cousin's cat lived at our Grandma's house for several years before they couldn't be on their own anymore. Her cat was an adult and pretty chill; but every now and then she'd go after the ball of yarn. You know; when least expected! :dizzycat:
What about a Kindle with a $50 gift card to Amazon. She'll have plenty of time to read now.
Ooo that's a great idea! And so much lighter than a paperback for hands that have worked hard for so long. I'm going to run that idea by one of my cousins to see if she thinks she will like it. Maybe with a stand so she can read and crochet at the same time.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooo that's a great idea! And so much lighter than a paperback for hands that have wor so long. I'm going to run that idea by one of my cousins to see if she thinks she will like it. Maybe with a stand so she can read and crochet at the same time.
Something nice about the Kindle is that the font came be made larger. As I have gotten older, my ability to see small text has faded. It is nice to be able to make the text larger so that I don't have to strain my eyes to read! :yess: I don't know if this would be an issue for your aunt.:dunno:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If your aunt is an avid reader, I like the Kindle idea. That's a great one! And even if she can see a regular font now, she might have some trouble with font sizes later on in her life.

Rick's mother loves to read....you might remember my posts about her eyes and how, at 96, she was having trouble with even reading large print books. We got her a Paperwhite Kindle. Well, turns out, she didn't like the Paperwhite, but she loved my old Nook. So I gave her my Nook and kept her Paperwhite for myself. She loves the Nook because she can adjust font sizes and it's heavy enough that it feels enough like a book to satisfy her. And when I see free books that she might like, I download them for her in addition to getting library e-books for her. The Nook has worked out beautifully for her; she thinks it was the best idea ever.

kashmir64 kashmir64 great idea! :thumbsup:

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a couple of Amazon Fire tablets,and I love them. Tablets would be great for her,and she can share them with the little ones since they always have lots of great games available for free.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nursing is a stressful job. I'm sure she would appreciate things that would help her relax and unwind and enjoy some leisure time, just for her! How about gift certificates for massage, mani-pedi, or a whole spa day? Does she have any hobbies? Perhaps some supplies towards her hobbies. What about movie tickets or theater tickets? Some herbal teas and a nice cup and saucer to enjoy them with. An eReader with a gift certificate to an online bookstore to get books. Or a gift certificate to an actual book store.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the Kindle idea best. Massages and such are fleeting, while a gift like Kindle keeps on giving and is a constant reminder of how much she's loved. I'd go somewhere that does engraving, like a trophy shop, and have a little stick-on metal plate that notes her retirement date and something like "From those who love you most". They can look very nice and are the finishing touch on a lovely gift. They're not too expensive if you get them done at a trophy shop. You might be able to get a nice one at Staples or Office Depot, too.

This will give you some idea of the possibilities. Sometimes you can even get small graphics on there.

Engraving Plates | Trophy Plates | Engraved Name Plates

Another feature of the Kindle is that for birthdays, thank-yous, and other special occasions, or even just because, you can send a gift card for more books. She should be able to get some crochet patterns there, too.

Another possibility is an Ott Light, which is superb for reading real books, crochet patterns, or working on projects. The Ott brand is expensive, but there are other brands that are just as good and a lot less expensive.

We got lots of lovely gifts when we retired, but the best ones were the ones we could keep, like a set of Henckels steak knives I would never have bought for myself. The restaurant gift cards were definitely appreciated, but the meals are long forgotten. The knives are used and the wonderful memories of my friends are recalled.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the idea of teas! I have so many memories of sitting around Grandma's kitchen table while we all have "a nice cup of tea." as Gram would say. Grandma would have LOVED a kindle if they had them when she was still reading. I'm not sure if my Aunt reads as much as Gram did; but Gram never worked outside the home after she was married. My Aunt definitely needs a hobby beyond watching her grandbabies! (Although she loves it. ;) ) I still think that could be a really great gift. I prefer to read on my Kindle Paperwhite. But maybe a Fire would be a good way to go so she can do color picture books with her grandbabies. I've read on my Fire. It's ok.

I think she still gets massages as part of her therapy for a work-related back injury she got when I was a kid. I know I'd love an excuse to pamper myself; I'm not completely sure which option could be the best route. I might have to put some "feelers" out with my cousins. Her favorite hobbies have always been crocheting and shopping. :p

Etsy has some great personalize-able gifts. Maybe I can get something to customize a gift there.

Thank you all for all your ides! :thanks:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine would often comment, "I live in Florida but I haven't been to the beach in years!" He had never been to any of the many attractions either. When he retired, a group of his friends and coworkers all chipped in and bought him a travel related gift. There was a book that listed destinations for day trips, and gift cards for gas, restaurants, and chain hotels. He really loved it. He took lots of mini trips and was always so excited to tell us all about them and show off his photos. He discovered an adventurous spirit he never knew he had.:)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A friend of mine would often comment, "I live in Florida but I haven't been to the beach in years!" He had never been to any of the many attractions either. When he retired, a group of his friends and coworkers all chipped in and bought him a travel related gift. There was a book that listed destinations for day trips, and gift cards for gas, restaurants, and chain hotels. He really loved it. He took lots of mini trips and was always so excited to tell us all about them and show off his photos. He discovered an adventurous spirit he never knew he had.:)
Ooo that sounds like fun! I might be able to find some things like that for my Aunt. Something she can do with the kids or my Grandma in tow. :agree:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
- What about subscribing her to a subscription box? She can get a box of goodies and gift baskets of things she likes every month. Wine, makeup, junk food and candies, tea, nice cheeses, skincare/baths/soaps, fragrances, chocolates, pet stuff etc

- Gift certificate for a really nice dinner at a nice place and/or for an evening show she might like (Musical, opera, theater or dance etc) maybe add a little makeover too prior. A nice excuse to get dressed up for a change, have a little date night.

- Does she like gardening? A nice package of gardening supplies and seeds might be nice.

- Is there something that she always wanted to try but never really had the time for? Something part of her bucket list? Cooking lessons, tennis lessons, golf lessons, ballroom dance lessons, Yoga classes, skydiving etc

- Grandchildren Fun Basket. A basket you can fill with things like board games, tickets to kid friendly events and children's books/coloring books that she can spend with the children of the family.

- Does she want to travel more? A collection of travel items might be nice; a new suitcase, filled with travel goodies like books about her dream destination, travel sized goodies, a passport holder, a small gift certificate for airfare etc

- Can't go wrong with a scrapbook! A beautiful collection of pictures of her throughout her really cool life!

-Engraved Pillows and blankets. So she can get nice and cozy when she reads :)

Anyhoo, good luck!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wanted to go in a hot air balloon. Maybe some sort of experience might be worth investigating. Something on her 'bucket list'.

:goldstar: