Rest in Peace, Pippin, My Big Guy

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was with an incredibly sad heart that I said a sudden farewell to my almost 11-year-old cat Pippin last week. Before I left for work around lunch he was chasing me around the living room, and when I came home in the late afternoon he was well into heart failure. He was crouched at the bottom of the stairs where he rarely greets me and instead of following me up like he usually does, he meowed loudly and repeatedly. I checked him and he was barely able to use his hind legs and his breathing was gurgly sounding. I knew right then that he was in serious trouble and probably wouldn't be coming home once we walked out the door. I packed him up to his vet and after a quick exam and xray they got him into an oxygen cage where he improved a bit, but not enough to make recovery even remotely unlikely. They brought me back as soon as they got him to the cage and parked me in front of him to help keep him calm while they talked me through things. Pippin was a feisty boy who normally would have had to be sedated for any of that, but he didn't have much fight in him. 

I had no choice but to let him go. I was so thankful that our own vet was there as she knew him and handled him in a way that was the least distressing for him. I also appreciated that she had prepared me for this, having told me previously that because of his temperament if he ever had a serious condition he wouldn't be a good candidate for more intensive levels of treatment. I always knew if anything ever happened I would need to be ready to say goodbye quickly. It made that decision one tiny bit easier. 

Pippin was the cat I never intended to have. I loved cats as a girl, but had very severe allergies to animals (and a bunch of other stuff). I went through the whole shot business but had written off ever having pets as an adult. And then one spring day almost 11 years ago, I stepped out onto my deck and a little black ball of fluff was meowing down below in my backyard. Of course I couldn't leave him there, so I scooped him up and started looking for either his mama or his owner. And that's when I found this place, because I knew nothing about caring for orphan kittens, much less one that was only a week old. 

After getting him through those first few days--seeing as how I had allergies and was never going to own a cat--I started looking for a home for "Kitten," as we called him back then. I easily found three people willing to take him, but the one I chose needed me to keep him until he was weaned because of their work schedule. You know where this is going...that little guy simply stole our hearts away. Here he about 6 weeks of age looking all forlorn because we had to block him off in the kitchen while we went off to a Mother's Day gathering.  (In no time at all he learned to scale the blockade.)

A few days before the appointed date for him to move to his new home, a neighbor found a feral mother and her litter of kittens living under his shed and I'm pretty positive he was from that cat family. If I'd only left him out in the yard a little longer she might have fetched him, but fate had another plan. That family of cats scattered upon their discovery and I was called into help with a scared little one that went into hiding. Suddenly we had two kittens on our hands. We quickly decided to offer the other one to the waiting family and keep our little fluffball. I sent one of my kids in to tell the kitten he wouldn't be leaving us after all, and he came back and reported that the kitten said he'd never intended to leave anyway. 

And so Pippin became part of our family, and my most beloved cat. It wasn't long before my sweet kitten decided he had enough of that lap kitten baby stuff and we had a mighty little hunter on our hands who kept us laughing hilariously at his energy and kitten antics. He attacked everything that moved, and also a lot that didn't move. He discovered he liked pancakes and water spilled out of glasses, and we had to be vigilant because if we turned our backs for even a moment from the table, he'd be up there helping himself. He loved water and would pop his head into the shower spray and once even hopped into the bathtub with me. As a kitten he followed me around day and night, even when he was so exhausted he could hardly stay awake. Later as an adult cat he toned that down some, but I was his person and when he was awake he was usually nearby. 

I sometimes smile reading descriptions of the sweet, loving cats that so many of you have. Pippin was a big boy, and a feisty boy. He had loving moments and sweet moments, but those were times of his choosing because he lived life his way. His wasn't the temperament that I suppose many would purposely seek out in a cat, but I respected him for who he was and I always admired his spirit. 

Pippin loved--

Me. Always me. 

Chasing bugs

Chicken

Hot summer nights outdoors

Hunting down socks in the laundry room and presenting his "prey" to me

Guarding his yard from four legged intruders

Sleeping between my knees at night

And so now I find myself saying goodbye to the cat I never intended to have, the cat who became a part of my heart forever.

I can't believe how much I miss you. I keep thinking you're going to be there waiting for me at the top of the stairs, or by the back door wanting to be let in, or behind my feet when I'm at the kitchen counter, or hopping up into my lap to get settled in for the night. I couldn't bear to look at your empty dish, so I put it by your picture and filled it with your baby mouse toy and a tuft of your fur and that cat medallion that always made me feel happy. My heart is aching now, but I'll always be glad I stepped out onto the deck at that precise time on that April morning. When your remains come back to me, I'll wait for a perfect spring day and then I'll return you to the place where I first saw you in the grass, the place where you spent many happy hours.

Rest in peace, Big Guy, and happy hunting. 

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an amazingly beautiful tribute to your Pippin...really beautiful. Clearly, you and Pippin were meant to be in each other's lives. The universe made sure of it. Pippin lived a beautiful life with you from day one, he was loved unconditionally for the cat he was and he was unconditionally devoted to you because of that.
I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I can feel in your words the depth of your grief. I only hope that knowing that your big, feisty boy is no longer in pain and is happily chasing bugs on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge brings you a small amount of comfort. Pippin will always be a part of you and your heart. I'm certain Pippin is keeping watch on you from above [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

[emoji]128149[/emoji]RIP Pippin[emoji]128149[/emoji]

jd shredds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry for your loss. Pippin was an adorable kitten and beautiful adult. You clearly loved him dearly, and vice versa. The "sock prey" thing is so cute and funny. May he rest in peace.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks JD and Hello Miss Kitty, for your kind and understanding words. I found I was really needing more than fleeting Facebook condolences, so I'm really grateful for this board.

So sorry for your loss. Pippin was an adorable kitten and beautiful adult. You clearly loved him dearly, and vice versa. The "sock prey" thing is so cute and funny. May he rest in peace.
He started his laundry room hunting expeditions as a pretty young age and it was always so cute. After he nabbed something, he'd go to the base of the stairs and start meowing that "I've caught something really special" meow and then rush upstairs and flop down on the floor with it. Of course he was very proud of himself, and he'd wait for me to thank him and give him a little pat.

Mostly Pippin scored freshly killed socks and undies, but there were times he went in for bigger game. Once I came home and found that he'd dragged a big beach towel up the two flights of stairs. I can only imagine how he struggled to get it up here on his own!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy for you that you have these precious memories to remember him by, it helps to keep them alive in our hearts if we can keep them alive in our memories. My heart goes out to you, I know how much a broken heart hurts. I hope you can take comfort in knowing you gave that wonderful boy a lovely life full of love and adventure, he could ask for no more. There does come a time when they have to leave us, their time is unfortunately shorter than ours, but the bond of love and happiness that binds their soul to ours can never be taken from us. Use it to send your love and he will send his back. Celebrate the time you did get to share with him, try not to dwell on the end, it is not as he would want for someone he loves so dearly. He was so special, so unique, it was meant to be on that April day. You will always have the moments you shared,and one day those moments will come together again when your life's path crosses his once more. Please accept my condolences, time is the only thing that softens the sharp edges of grief, take care of yourself and allow yourself to cry, it releases the torment that grips your heart. RIP beautiful Pippin, may you continue your hunting expeditions in the beautiful fields at the Bridge, You will continue to announce your 'kills' on the soft summer breeze, and the pure light that is now you will shine your love down on the one you love so very much. You will forever be held in a loving heart, sleep tight sweet Prince! 

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss of Pippin.  He was a special boy and you two had a very strong bond.  He'll forever have a place in your heart. 

RIP peace precious Pippen.  

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was a beautiful story, Pippin was destined to be your friend. I am so sorry that he had to move on to his next journey. RIP sweet boy

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read your story and am so very sorry for your loss, what a sweet boy and what a great thing you did by taking him in years ago.

I understand how you feel when you lose one so very close to you, and at least you were somewhat prepared although we are NEVER ready to say solong, but at least the end was done comfortably and with class.

He looks like Sebastian who passed away in my arms 11/2015, very much like him. So if you blend him and a tuxedo cat together you get my buddy Sylvester who is pictured in the avatar; he is the one who got me over losing Sebastian and also Simon, so he is a truly special boy to me and I often hug him and tell him "we found each other...in the darkness...we helped each other", and I hope that one day you will find another whom you can love and give a great life to just like you did with your big guy.

May your heart heal a bit each day, remember it is not goodbye but rather "solong" ....God Bless...

What a touching love story......where's my hanky......