Respiratory Issues: Rapid Breathing

KJIA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello All,

About two months ago, I noticed my cat Juliette was suddenly breathing more rapid and heavier than usual. She was not open-mouth breathing/panting, no coughing, no sneezing-- just faster than normal (40-50 breaths per minute, bpm) and with more abdominal movement. The vet said she could hear some increased lung sounds, xrays looked fine for the most part with maybe some slight "bronchial patterns", and we also ran a few tests to rule out any cardiac issues. The vet suspected either an upper respiratory infection (although thought it was unusual there was no coughing or congestion) or asthma. We were prescribed the antibioitic Clavamox and oral steroid prednisolone. After about a week, my cat was back to normal (18-20 bpm). We finished the antibiotic, and the vet recommended to slowly titrate the dose of prednisolone down before taking my cat off it completely.

Everything was going well for a 2-3 weeks until the faster/heavier breathing returned again. We again tried Clavamox as well as returned to the initial higher dose of prednisolone. My cat's breathing improved to a more normal rate (24-30 bpm), but not what I would consider her specific normal (more towards 20 bpm). The vet thought breathing was okay, and said let's try to nudge the prednisolone down just a tiny bit. Three days later-- we are back to faster/heavier breathing again (about 40 bpm).

Has anyone ever experienced something like this with their kitty or have suggestions of different diagnoses to explore? My vet said it may be asthma and we may have to try using an inhaler. Of course, I want to do whatever will help my kitty feel better but it seems strange my cat doesn't seem to have the wheezing and attacks that other asthma kitties have. It also seems strange that this seemed to just suddenly start out of the blue. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not a vet but it makes me wonder if there's something in her environment that's triggering this. New carpet, fresh house paint, fumes from ?, mold, does she go outside? Perfume, scented candles, cleaning sprays, new litter, allergic reaction to food, water change?. Hang in there, sending good thoughts your way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KJIA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much for your input! Nothing environmentally has changed that I can think of. She is an indoor cat, and it's just me and her-- no other pets or people living with us. I have allergies myself so I avoid all perfumes and air fresheners. We have an air purifier and I vacuum routinely. Thanks, though, for the good suggestions!

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What does she eat? Any fish? Fish oil?

My cat has rapid respiratory after a few days of fish snacks. There are a lot of histamines in fish and it builds up and sets off distress in her respiratory system. She also is intolerent of fish oil and other vegetable oils.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KJIA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No fish. She eats Wellness chicken wet food, and has for several years. Thank you for your suggestion though!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm borrowing below from another thread which actually had to do with urinary issues but the thing is, the items mentioned there can also have an impact on the respiratory system. Anyway, maybe there's something that helps you pin it down for your girl, --a thought, your vet didn't say anything about a possible chicken allergy, as that can happen also?

--There are so many things we don't understand about a cats health in general. Some have problems on all dry, some on all wet, some that eat fish, some that don't, inside cats, outside cats. I have read about so many things that can be causes and triggers; fish, dry food, some ingredients in wet food, household toxins that can be found in dust and such, litter box issues, stress, and genetics to name a few.

Anyway, we're rooting for you and sending a lot of good thoughts your way!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, you should be aware that allergies can begin quite suddenly, to things that have never been a problem before. I had used Neosporin + for years when I suddenly developed an allergy to it, and it can work the same way in animals. I think if it were my cat I might be looking at changing to a different food, either a different brand of chicken (in case it's an additive) or a different protein entirely.

Margret