Resorbing Teeth Cause

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Nocturne kitty just had two more teeth pulled for resorptive lesions. She is doing well and hopefully is now pain-free. This means she's lost 3-4 teeth to this disease though.

I was curious if anyone has heard good theories as to why some cats get this more than others. I've heard chronic inflammation may be a reason, and she does have IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) but it is well under control with diet and the use of Cerenia and the vet she went to said plenty of cats without IBD have it too.
Other theories I've heard: too much acid in the mouth from the diet, pre-existing dental disease (Noxie has had her teeth cleaned before though), poor nutrition (she eats a balanced diet of various canned foods), malocclusive forces, excessive vitamin D, etc.

Could it be calicivirus or herpes virus related? A bad mouth microbiome?

Have any of you had this problem? It's starting to get expensive : )
She's worth it though.

Here are some pictures of her being adorable.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read a number of articles on the internet that say there is a direct correlation between dental disease/stomatitis and FCV. It is all about the immune system. And it may even relate to her IBD diagnosis. Do you give her an immune support supplement? I have no idea how much, if anything, it might do to prevent additional dental issues, but it sure couldn't hurt her in the long run.
Vetri DMG™ Liquid for Dogs and Cats - VetriScience
Relationship between Feline calicivirus Load, Oral Lesions, and Outcome in Feline Chronic Gingivostomatitis (Caudal Stomatitis): Retrospective Study in 104 Cats - PMC (nih.gov)
An Update on Feline Chronic Gingivostomatitis - PMC (nih.gov)

Last edited: