Resocializing Stray Cat

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
'feral' Cat Is Indoors
And the link to the first post is the send comment in that for backstory.

So, Skooma is awesome, and such a sweetheart. He solicits belly rubs, and gives biscuits. Only problem is his tail is still in between his legs more often then not. And he is terrified of cat toys. I feel bad that he does nothing but sleep all day, but he is terrified of anything moving around him. So toys freak him out. I have him confined to my office, so I'm there a lot working. I've opened up the door for him to explore the rest of the house, but he refuses to leave his bed. Sometimes, when he does leave his bed its just to hide in the corner of the room. He doesn't seem scared of me, just everything around him. I opened up the window to let some air in, and he somehow widdled in behind my computer because he was so scared. Skooma is really an amazing guy, but I'm not sure if I'm doing everything he needs to be successful in an adoption situation.

TLDR: we are fostering a stray that has been outside for 2 years. He is scared of everything, and I need help getting him more used to life as an indoor kitty.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know what kind of set up you have, but cat trees/perches, and ideally at least one near a window - to start with in your office - would be one way to possibly entice him to start moving about more in that space. Taking blankets/towels with his scent (maybe swapping out his bed blankets, or adding some more at first to get his scent on them) and placing some on these perches, just so they smell like him. If he likes treats, you might be able to 'bribe' him onto one or more of the perches you create. Maybe even buy him a second (identical) bed to add to a perch? If his current bed isn't hidden, you might want to add a cardboard box in the room that he could hide in when he wants to (instead of behind your computer). By now, I am sure you think the room will be cluttered, but don't despair, it is only temporary!!

Toys that better mimic outdoor items might be worth a try - a stick, a small branch off of a tree/shrub/etc. If he goes for any of these, you can start a transition to 'real toys' first by tying a piece of sisal, or similar type, rope to the end of the stick/branch. Perhaps try some simplistic toys that are made of material/burlap/etc. that you could rub some cat nip onto, to help interest him. Wadded up newspaper might be another option - you could even try to use some cat attractant spray on them? Even puzzle toys loaded with his favorite treats?

Spend some time singing to him, or talking to him, while you are in there. Sometimes that can be a soother to a scared cat. Soft music as Furballsmom Furballsmom
suggested might also be something he would like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have some window perches, and for the first few days he stayed in them and played'the floor is lava" game. They have a blanket and his scent now. He has a little hiding cube that he uses when he's scared, I guess it's just not as great as behind my desk when he's terrified.
I'll see if there's another bed like his favorite one somewhere. I'll also see what leaves/twigs I can find for him to play with. Thank you.
Right now he is terrified of music or electronic noises. So I've been trying to get him used to those. I know, a cat terrified of music, we have a far ways to go.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey, that is a whole lot of progress just in getting him to realize the floor is not lava!!!! Poor baby. He is just scared, this is a whole new and strange world - but it is great that he trusts you. It may take longer than you would like, but just that trust alone is such a positive thing, and will eventually enable to come out of his shell.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only ever rescued one adult stray so I'm not qualified to opine, but just wondering if some pharm help might ease the transition. Something to think about if things don't start getting better in a bit perhaps.